The anchor finger technique

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Luis_Br

Re: The anchor finger technique

Post by Luis_Br » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I tried a bit, but I am not sure it is good. I feel like going back to the time pinky had to be touching the soundboard. I prefer freedom of hand, using eventually the thumb as anchor and some "pre-planting" seems quite enough for accuracy, to me.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 am

Anchoring a finger on the string (such as the a finger on the first string) is common and widespread among concert level guitarists. It's really only teachers who don't know better who are spreading bad information claiming this is a bad practice. I've seen Manuel Barrueco, Pepe Romero, Philip Hii, Ana Vidovic and many more doing it. Thanks to you I can now add Iznaola to the list.

Here is Ana Vidovic bracing the a finger during tremolo

Youtube

There are many more video examples of the finger anchoring on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80875&start=1005
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 am

So she's playing p m i m tremolo. Is that unusual?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:52 pm

pogmoor wrote:So she's playing p m i m tremolo. Is that unusual?
I've seen other players who have practiced all the permutations of a 4 note tremolo and can demonstrate them successfully, but Vidovic is the only player I've seen to use something other than pami in performance. I'd be curious to know if there are others.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”