Most difficult Bach pieces to play on Classical Guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Most difficult Bach pieces to play on Classical Guitar?

Post by twistedblues » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:36 pm

What are some of the most difficult Bach pieces to play on Classical Guitar? And why?
Last edited by twistedblues on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Lister
Luthier

Re: Most difficult Bach songs to play on Classical Guitar?

Post by James Lister » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 pm

The hardest Bach piece I (try to) play is the Gigue from the e-minor lute suite BWV 996. Usual problem with Bach - too many notes, not enough time. :wink:

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:54 pm

:)

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 pm

This guy posted below his video, "One of the most difficult piece of guitar," and I would have to agree after watching him play it. But there are other good examples of hard Bach, usually involving lots of finger gymnastics and stretches, coupled with speed and length.

https://youtu.be/Plxyd2V1VRY

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

twistedblues wrote:What are some of the most difficult Bach songs to play on Classical Guitar? And why?
Uhm, I'd postulate the answer is "the dozens and dozens of OTHER Bach pieces which [virtually] no one plays on guitar". Why? Because they don't work very well (or at all) on guitar, that's why. Duh. So CG players and lute players stick with selections from the series BWV 995 to 1012, over and over and over again.

Or to write it in musical terms |[: over and over and over and over and :]| ripetizione liberamente e in eterno.

When a CG player records the entire cycle of JSB's English Suites BWV 806-811, or the French Suites, BWV 812-817, or the six Partitas BWV 825-830, in the same manner that so many players have recorded the complete lute, violin, and/or cello pieces, THEN I will recant my words. I'd even be satisfied with a complete full length CD recording of pieces from both the Anna Magdalena Notebooks.

Lastly, the 10-minute long Toccata BWV 914 works exceptionally WELL on the guitar, and only the last movement (of four total) is a tough nut to crack. But to the best of my awareness, only Stefano Grondona has had the insight to perform and record this one (Stradivarius CD STR 33868, from 2010)
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Please don't call them "songs" -- instrumental classical music should be referred to as "pieces".

[Thank you for fixing it!]
Last edited by Lovemyguitar on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:Please don't call them "songs" -- instrumental classical music should be referred to as "pieces".
+1

It's itunes we have to blame for this. Everything is a 'song', consequently digital natives believe everything is a 'song'.

chiral3

Re: Most difficult Bach pieces to play on Classical Guitar?

Post by chiral3 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:10 pm

If we re-word the OP I feel like I have a good answer: What piece by Bach is the most difficult to play on CG and still be able to say it is musical? Chromatic Fantasy.
物の哀れ

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Everything but the prelude from the first cello suite

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Kudos for editing the thread title's "songs" to "pieces".

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:03 pm

For sheer physical difficulty I would nominate Rick Foster's arrangement of Sheep May Safely Graze (Schafe Können Sicher Weiden), from Cantata BWV208. Christopher Parkening recorded it, but later injured his left hand playing it and gave it up.
Incidentally, this one is definitely a song.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm

For length and endurance *and* speed: Prelude, Fugue and Allegro BWV 998. Some may well be harder, but to play all three as a set, and well, takes some chops!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

My first instinct is to say the Chromatic Fantasy.

Search for "Jorge Caballero plays Bach Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue (1/3)" on YouTube.

That said, it's difficult mainly for it's speed, and it's mostly one voice in a straight line. I think the hardest kind of music by Bach to play convincingly on a guitar would be a fugue. Couldn't tell you which one is the most difficult to play.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:52 pm

James Lister wrote:The hardest Bach piece I (try to) play is the Gigue from the e-minor lute suite BWV 996. Usual problem with Bach - too many notes, not enough time. :wink: James
:lol: Reminds me of the line from the film "Amadeus", when the monarch tells Mozart that his latest work "....has too many notes". Mozart replies that it has "just as many notes as are required", then asks, "Which notes would you like me to remove?"
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm

James Lister wrote:The hardest Bach piece I (try to) play is the Gigue from the e-minor lute suite BWV 996. Usual problem with Bach - too many notes, not enough time. :wink:

James
I second that. I play the 1. lute suite for many years now but still struggeling with the Gigue, particularly with the second part. It's not only difficult to get the contrapuntal voices right but the piece also includes some messy acrobatic fingerings. This Gigue is a life long challenge.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”