legato playing

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
robk

legato playing

Post by robk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 am

As a beginner i am struggling with the following
In a certain piece i should play simultaneously e on string 1, c on string2, then also simultaneously f on str1, d on str2. It is suggested for this second chord to use fingering 1 4.
I do not manage to play this sequence legato.
Any suggestions how to accomplish this?

georgemarousi

Re: legato playing

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am

Hi!

you description is not very clear.. Are you having trouble to play simultaneously the 2 notest: f (str1) with finger 1, and d (str2) with finger 4 ?

( the fingering seems the proper one )

If yes, I believe some simple legato exercises would help you a lot
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Hate to say it, but: practice. Slowly, seriously, very slowly, with a metronome. Increase the speed bit by bit, only as you master the move between each pair of notes. Part of the lesson here is using your fourth finger, which is the weakest. But you could use the third unless the following measures make it clear that 4 is the best finger for the D. It will take less time to get fluent than you think.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

musikai

Post by musikai » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 pm

The e+c isn't the problem, right?
For the f+d with 1+4 you can try: Hold both notes, lift both fingers 1mm, again hold both notes and so on.
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:04 pm

robk wrote:As a beginner i am struggling with the following
In a certain piece i should play simultaneously e on string 1, c on string2, then also simultaneously f on str1, d on str2. It is suggested for this second chord to use fingering 1 4.
I do not manage to play this sequence legato.
Any suggestions how to accomplish this?
I take this to mean that you want to transition from e/c to f/d (and back to e/c) smoothly, so the pairs of notes sound legato and are not muted or interrupted by longish pauses between sounding each successive pair of notes.

Assuming e/c is played with 1 on second string, then you can focus on practicing just the transition with your left hand - no right hand involved. Just let your brain learn how to get from 1 on second string to the new shape of 1 on first, and 4 on second. Do this back and forth - each time focusing on just changing from one "shape" to the other, and placing all fingers involved in the shape at the same time, "snapping" them to the strings with confidence (which will come as your brain learns the shapes and the transition).

Good luck!
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 pm

I sometimes learn switching between chords by playing arpeggios and only putting the left fingers down when the right hand plays them. Then speed it up gradually.

For connecting notes try to coordinate left and right fingers. Pluck the string at the exact same time as putting down the finger on the fretboard. Begin with very large gaps between the notes.
―Michaël Samyn.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”