What is it called when a composer or teacher sings the parts?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

What is it called when a composer or teacher sings the parts?

Post by twistedblues » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 pm

What is it called when a composer or teacher sings the parts to a student in a lesson masterclass? I noticed this is common.. are they using vocals to convey the intended emotion of the piece? any information on how to learn how to do this? more specifically.. what to listen for in a piece and how to vocalize the emotional intent of the piece?

lagartija

Re: What is it called when a composer or teacher sings the parts?

Post by lagartija » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 pm

It is sometimes known as Solfeggio, when using do re mi fa, etc. But singing the parts is just part of practice. To start to do that, sing along with something you know. I use the count at first, with the number sung at the pitch of the part I am singing. If your range does not allow this, then sing an octave higher or lower. Then, I will sing the letter names to help with memorizing the piece.
Since you have probably been using your voice longer than playing guitar, ;-) you will be able to convey something when you sing the part. Listen carefully to what you are singing. Then play what you just sang.
Singing will help you understand phrasing, too.
I found that taking a few vocal lessons was useful.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 pm

twistedblues wrote:What is it called when a composer or teacher sings the parts to a student in a lesson masterclass? ...
Well in my case its probably called rather a strange noise ...

The reason I do it is normally to try to guide the player without actually playing along. I'm often vocalising the note names, note values or sometimes adding in other reminders 'to pitch'. I don't normally do solfa (because I'm not very good at it!) Often it is to try to emphasise the long durations that are easy to forget about.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Post by Dustin McKinney » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:58 pm

It is always used to outline the melody or, in the case of a fugue or countermelody, an equal voice with melodic qualities. The style of performing on an instrument in the manner of singing is called "cantabile." You can get better at this by finding the melody of the piece and singing just the melody without any of the bass counterpoint or accompanimental figures!
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Very cool!

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

The other day my tutor was humming the piece we had been working on, while we were walking to the car after the lesson. It was not intentional, but helped me in many ways. Perhaps it helped even more because it was unintentional. It showed she liked it herself.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”