Classical guitar players who write their own music?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Smudger5150

Re: Classical guitar players who write their own music?

Post by Smudger5150 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 am

Does Gordon Giltrap count? Some of his compositions are on the LCM syllabus but I always thought he was more of a folk guitar instrumentalist.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

MaritimeGuitarist

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

Andrew Zohn

Patrick Roux used to write/arrange a good chunk of the Canadian Guitar Quartet's repertoire--heavily influenced by tango music. I'm not sure if he plays with them anymore though. It's fantastic music, check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPEbCbDWoys

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 pm

My teacher Nick Fletcher plays a lot of his own compositions - you can find him playing some of them on YouTube, and they are published through Productions d'OZ.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:59 pm

John Williams. While he doesn't play his own compositions exclusively, he has composed some very nice pieces (example: his cd "From A Bird").
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:30 pm

The big ones that I haven't seen mentioned yet would be Dusan Bogdanovic and Ida Presti.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Jim, thank you for Dusan, it was about time :mrgreen:

Pavel Steidl ! He wrote whole suite he never performs completely
Atanas Ourkouzounov
Ben Verdery
Marco Smaili
Probably many others I can't recall right now
Me...

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:32 pm

ben etow wrote:Jim, thank you for Dusan, it was about time :mrgreen:

Pavel Steidl ! He wrote whole suite he never performs completely
Atanas Ourkouzounov
Ben Verdery
Marco Smaili
Probably many others I can't recall right now
Me...
Of course. And I completely forgot about Pavel Steidl! "And You Go to Ithaca, Too?" is brilliant.

I also forgot Yamandu Costa!
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 am

Two names I'll always respect.. Roland Dyens and Štěpán Rak.

Actually in the past days playing one's own music was all about being a musician.
Hence we got Sor, Tarrega and Barrios not forgetting the greats of other instruments.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:58 am

I would add Sergio Assad. Certainly they don't only play Sergio's pieces, but his pieces are certainly worth mentioning here.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Sobers wrote:Two names I'll always respect.. Roland Dyens and Štěpán Rak.

Actually in the past days playing one's own music was all about being a musician.
Hence we got Sor, Tarrega and Barrios not forgetting the greats of other instruments.
This a great topic for highlighting all these creative players. Actually being a Frank Zappa fan, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Roland Dyens had done a piece 'Homage a Frank Zappa'. A tall order to do a homage to Zappa on the CG when Zappa's music covers all sorts of bases but interesting nonetheless.

I have wondered in the past about why the classical genre always seems to be more about performance rather than composition whereas a lot of non-classical music (certainly the music from artists I listen to) is about bringing out a new album of their own music.

Maybe the discipline required to get performance level takes up some much time and effort that composition is a later or secondary consideration.
Plus the onus put on perfection and the fact that one can't 'cheat' like you can with, say rock music using amps etc I think means that one can't 'jam' a cover quickly. Plus the use of riffs, simpler motifs and structures (verse,chorus,verse, chorus etc) probably means it's easier, I assume, for non-classical musicians to create music more quickly that is acceptable to their genre.
I'm generalising of course. Some music like, say, progressive rock can certainly be at a similar level of musicianship and composition e.g. Dream Theater

Question to the floor though - how does one hear about these compositions typically these days? Via their the players' CDs/mp3 releases? Via their sheet music? Via youtube only? Word of mouth? Or a mixture of all these?

Note:- I found the Dyens piece when I was looking for CG pieces to download.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Jorge Morel.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Sobers wrote:Two names I'll always respect.. Roland Dyens and Štěpán Rak.

This a great topic for highlighting all these creative players. Actually being a Frank Zappa fan, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Roland Dyens had done a piece 'Homage a Frank Zappa'. A tall order to do a homage to Zappa on the CG when Zappa's music covers all sorts of bases but interesting nonetheless.

I have wondered in the past about why the classical genre always seems to be more about performance rather than composition whereas a lot of non-classical music (certainly the music from artists I listen to) is about bringing out a new album of their own music.

Maybe the discipline required to get performance level takes up some much time and effort that composition is a later or secondary consideration.
Plus the onus put on perfection and the fact that one can't 'cheat' like you can with, say rock music using amps etc I think means that one can't 'jam' a cover quickly. Plus the use of riffs, simpler motifs and structures (verse,chorus,verse, chorus etc) probably means it's easier, I assume, for non-classical musicians to create music more quickly that is acceptable to their genre.
I'm generalising of course. Some music like, say, progressive rock can certainly be at a similar level of musicianship and composition e.g. Dream Theater

Question to the floor though - how does one hear about these compositions typically these days? Via their the players' CDs/mp3 releases? Via their sheet music? Via youtube only? Word of mouth? Or a mixture of all these?

Note:- I found the Dyens piece when I was looking for CG pieces to download.
No, it is not about discipline. It is about culture. Every "Academia" when it begin play positive role in developing certain aspects of Art, but after some time Academia becoming a force which actually prevent Art from developing. Culture which exists in "classical guitar" world is not positive for development of new music and new "creative" talent. Everything works in opposite way - performance, sport is #1 and new creation is ... not necessary. Pupils grow in culture of denial of their own ability to be creative. They force to copy and copy and copy... endless competitions build on judgement who is the best in copying. There is a whole "sport-like" culture surrounding all what is happening on "Academical" level. Seems like eventually classical guitar will be something like Tennis.. or Figure skating. Virtuosity in certain elements of sportive aspects of it trump down creativity.
Will it change? ? ? Unlikely...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote: No, it is not about discipline. It is about culture. Every "Academia" when it begin play positive role in developing certain aspects of Art, but after some time Academia becoming a force which actually prevent Art from developing. Culture which exists in "classical guitar" world is not positive for development of new music and new "creative" talent. Everything works in opposite way - performance, sport is #1 and new creation is ... not necessary. Pupils grow in culture of denial of their own ability to be creative. They force to copy and copy and copy... endless competitions build on judgement who is the best in copying. There is a whole "sport-like" culture surrounding all what is happening on "Academical" level. Seems like eventually classical guitar will be something like Tennis.. or Figure skating. Virtuosity in certain elements of sportive aspects of it trump down creativity.
Will it change? ? ? Unlikely...
Couldn't have said it better.... and it goes for all instruments IMHO.
I remember a scene from Tous les matins du monde (1991) where the wannabe student played a (someone else's) piece with stunning finger work to impress the mentor... but his mentor said ''I won't accept you as a student. You make music monsieur but you are not a musician''.

Alas, perfecting in interpretation is the modern trend in which real musicians are forgotten... in other words (again imho) a celebration of mediocrity tends to produce a culture which defines the meaning of star musician.

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 pm

To avoid any misunderstanding I must explain that I have nothing against interpretation. We all do that in CG, that's the 'signed-sealed-delivered' way of learning European classical music. Also learning a great composer's music is like living with his thoughts, that's a beautiful experience.
But I come from an Indian classical music background where playing someone else's compositions only means 'beginners' or 'learners'... the Guru teaches all possible ways to enhance your musical abilities but then only you have to begin thinking about your own 'message' not defying the tradition though. Otherwise nobody will listen.
In European classical music I don't know only researchers can tell when the trend changed.
I can only ask questions like, 'Is the composer-musicians recognized in a special way than other musicians?'

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Gyan Riley.
Last edited by Steve Ganz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”