Classical guitar players who write their own music?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
AndreiKrylov

Re: Classical guitar players who write their own music?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Sobers wrote:To avoid any misunderstanding I must explain that I have nothing against interpretation. We all do that in CG, that's the 'signed-sealed-delivered' way of learning European classical music. Also learning a great composer's music is like living with his thoughts, that's a beautiful experience.
But I come from an Indian classical music background where playing someone else's compositions only means 'beginners' or 'learners'... the Guru teaches all possible ways to enhance your musical abilities but then only you have to begin thinking about your own 'message' not defying the tradition though. Otherwise nobody will listen.
In European classical music I don't know only researchers can tell when the trend changed.
I can only ask questions like, 'Is the composer-musicians recognized in a special way than other musicians?'

I have nothing against interpretation too :).
I love to read music and to become familiar with music of other composers not just by listening to them, but by reading/playing their work. Technical skills are very important to every musician, and we have to work hard to acquire them. Yet the whole culture and philosophy of western music approach is very one sided and oriented to performance, repetition, copying and following to endless amount of rules, some of those though are rather irrational and based on certain cultures and even personal preferences of certain performers who achieved fame. I think that the best way is to approach things in such way that will make possible to use one's own creativity, rather than only to blindly follow all rules and regulations. From my early childhood I felt in love in "classical" western music and in eastern traditions and in free interpretation of things by gypsy musicians. Also I am deeply convinced that for ability of any musician to be able to create/interpret music is necessary to enhance himself in history, philosophy and cultures, otherwise music interpretation is just a simple technical business, simple "trade" and sport which does not really deliver any spiritual message, but just showing off fast movement of fingers and fitness of performer. But...I am very pessimistic... when years ago I started to talk here about such small adjustment of way guitarist do things as playing in standing position - I was subject of ridicule and was even forbidden by moderators to take part in some discussions regarding the same matter... and here in this topic I am talking about the whole philosophical approach to music/guitar life, not just one ergonomic issue... so I expect nothing else but total rejection of it, except by very few people :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Smudger5150

Postby Smudger5150 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Another one - Ralph Towner - although I suspect he's known more for his jazz work. I'm new to his work even though I have a CG tutor by him which incidentally has an improvisation section on it that you don't see in other CG tutors...well, in the one's that I've seen prior to Monsieur Delcamp's lessons.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Francisco Tarrega, Fernando Sor, Mauro Giuliani, Niccolo Paganini, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Agustín Barrios, Andres Segovia, many many many - here is one good list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... cal_guitar
and another one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical ... cal_guitar
most of those people play/played guitar too. :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Sobers

Postby Sobers » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote: Technical skills are very important to every musician, and we have to work hard to acquire them. Yet the whole culture and philosophy of western music approach is very one sided and oriented to performance, repetition, copying and following to endless amount of rules, some of those though are rather irrational and based on certain cultures and even personal preferences of certain performers who achieved fame.

Perhaps we can have another thread to forward this very important subject.... maybe what everybody looks for ie; Originality (Let me do the honour please)

AndreiKrylov wrote: I think that the best way is to approach things in such way that will make possible to use one's own creativity, rather than only to blindly follow all rules and regulations.

I am just highlighting in case anybody missed...... very well said

AndreiKrylov wrote: From my early childhood I felt in love in "classical" western music and in eastern traditions and in free interpretation of things by gypsy musicians. Also I am deeply convinced that for ability of any musician to be able to create/interpret music is necessary to enhance himself in history, philosophy and cultures, otherwise music interpretation is just a simple technical business, simple "trade" and sport which does not really deliver any spiritual message, but just showing off fast movement of fingers and fitness of performer.

Absolutely, again can't agree more... the 'trade' thing is eating us all

AndreiKrylov wrote: But...I am very pessimistic... when years ago I started to talk here about such small adjustment of way guitarist do things as playing in standing position - I was subject of ridicule and was even forbidden by moderators to take part in some discussions regarding the same matter... and here in this topic I am talking about the whole philosophical approach to music/guitar life, not just one ergonomic issue... so I expect nothing else but total rejection of it, except by very few people :)

Here, may I assure that a person and musician of your realization cannot be a subject of ridicule ever.
In a forum we don't talk face to face... we chat by writing comments which can be very misunderstanding sometimes. I think your path will always enlighten others in the long run.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”