Stanley Yates books?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Stanley Yates books?

Post by twistedblues » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:52 pm

I know Stanley Yates is amazing. I'm assuming his books are amazing too? Can you recommend them?

Looking at these

DerekB

Re: Stanley Yates books?

Post by DerekB » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I only know his Graded Repertoire Book 2. It is really excellent. He sticks to the grade better than any other anthology I know and at the same time includes a lot of less well-known repertoire. A very high proportion are a real pleasure to play. He doesn't commit the all too common sin of padding it out with the same old familiar studies by Sor, Carcassi et al. I have been using it a lot recently while recovering from a hand injury.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I have the first of those books and think it's much better than Kitharalogus or Pumping Nylon or Kappel's bible, though in a way it takes more effort to use because it isn't just pages and pages of exercises already written out for you.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Fantastic! Anyone try the Bach book?

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Yeah you can get it from scr1bd - there's some interesting discussion of arranging. I have only looked in detail at one of his arrangements. It is more difficult than the one in the ABRSM book of arrangements - better in some ways, IMO, and I found it useful to compare the two. There are at least a million arrangements of the cello suites, but it's a fair bet his will be pretty good.

Mikemandolin

Post by Mikemandolin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 am

I have been searching for a good book for a music reading learner is this the best I have tune a day classical guitar but am looking for a better one

fraim

Post by fraim » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 pm

i'm 1/2 way through his 1st book "foundation". i've been back to cg for 6+yrs & still find lots of useful things in his book. very easy to read & good explanations. worth the $ imo

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:05 am

twistedblues wrote:Fantastic! Anyone try the Bach book?
Yes Ive got that one ,working very slowly through it though.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 am

Yes
I really like the Contemporary Anthology. Gems it would be harder to find elsewhere.
If you are not ready for them, technically speaking, buy the book anyway for your musical hope chest.

psmi

Post by psmi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Just yesterday I got the first two books (CG technique from foundation to virtuosity..) and the first impression is very good.

So far I have used mostly Kappel's 'Bible' and I will continue with it, however Yates books will be useful addition. Much more information than in Kappel, less excercises.
I like the idea of developing technique in the context with musicality, not separating both aspects.
"If you want to discover the Universe, discover your Self." Gautama Buddha

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 pm

I have Yates' Cello Suites and I'm not a fan of the first suite transposed in C Major; however, it's easier than Duarte's D-Major....a lot easier. I'd say he picked C Major because everyone else picked D Major (and the original G Major doesn't lie well in the normal guitar range, as I've transcribed this myself with the low D and G tuning), and it's easier but it doesn't have the same impact as D major in my opinion.

I can't say about the other Cello Suites since I don't have any other editions of those, except the 5th Cello Suite as that's also the Lute Suite BWV 995 (usually done in A minor, which Yates' puts in G minor, which is actually the "original key" of the lute suite and you down tune the 6 string to D and the 5 to G). He does include "comparison scores" which is quite nice. I'm a firm believer that if you transpose something that's from a Cello or a Violin, you would need to add some good counterpoint which fleshes out the implied harmonies, and of course, this would be somewhat subjective. Yates doesn't seem to add much counterpoint to his transcriptions (with the 5th cello suite excepted because he's following the "lute" version). Duarte, at least in the First Cello Suite, adds quite a bit but some of his harmonies are not quite Baroque.

At any rate, the Cello Suites are a good addition to any library; if anything, an intermediate player or advanced beginner would be able to play the first cello suite a lot quicker than the Duarte version.

I don't have the other books, unfortunately.

What is in the Contemporary book? And what is in the graded studies books?
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”