How to decide on fingerings

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

How to decide on fingerings

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 am

Are there any tips on how to choose the most lgigical fingerings for pieces that do not include them?

twistedblues

Re: How to decide on fingerings

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:18 am

What fingerings would you choose for something simple like this?

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc ... ay_tab.htm

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:19 am

I do whatever works for me.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:25 am

I basically try out different fingerings and see what works and what feels more comfortable to me. I look at what notes and what chords come up in the sheet music and use fingerings that will fit much easier with the chords or notes coming up next. Basically, pre-planning ahead.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 am

I find with difficult Bach I need to get good at each fingering before I can render a decision. That means hours learning each one (for me).

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:38 am

I've noticed by trying to come up with my own fingerings I learn how to come up with better fingerings :)

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:50 am

LH Fingerging can be a) vertical, b) horizontal or c) diagonal oriented.

The mostly used vertical oriented fingering of the left hand depends on the first finger (aka index finger). The position of the index finger is "glued" on the fret (eg. III., V., VII, ...) and the others fingers are used for position V.+1, V.+2 till V.+4. This will minimize the movement of the hand and give a maximum on stability. The index finger is often used in this case as an anchor.

Wikipedia said: "In common with other classical stringed instruments, classical guitar playing and notation use formal positions of the left hand. The 'nth position' means that the hand is positioned with the first finger over the nth fret."

a special case of LH Fingering is the "campanella" style.
---
Lakewood M-32G --- Aria MH 100 --- Hoyer Grand Concert --- Crafter Vintage ---
MuseScore --- GuitarPro --- SmartScore ---

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:57 am

twistedblues wrote:I've noticed by trying to come up with my own fingerings I learn how to come up with better fingerings :)
I think you just answered your own question.
It's about what is most playable while consideline what is most musical. There are no simple answers to these things. The most playable is not always the most musical and vice versa.
Are you working with a teacher? Many of the questions you post are ones that could more effectively and thoroughly addresed by a teacher.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:52 pm

One thing to bear in mind is that fingerings which work well when one is learning a piece at a slow tempo might, on occasion, not be ideal when the piece is brought up to speed.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 pm

twistedblues wrote:What fingerings would you choose for something simple like this?

<a title="Linkification: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc ... ay_tab.htm" href="https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc ... ay_tab.htm" class="linkification-ext" style="color:#006620">https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc ... tab.htm</a>
just an example for a horizontal (the first 8 measures) and a vertical orientation (the last measures).

as you can see, the movement of the left hand is minimized in the last 8 measures. And the sound is imho much more "music" if you try to hold the notes as long as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KlaBueBaer on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:30 pm

correction:
beam = measure
---

Phillip_H

Post by Phillip_H » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:29 pm

I have a much harder time coming up with RH fingerings.

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Is it possible to give me more details, e.g. an example?
---

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

KlaBueBaer wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:50 am
LH Fingerging can be a) vertical, b) horizontal or c) diagonal oriented.

The mostly used vertical oriented fingering of the left hand depends on the first finger (aka index finger). The position of the index finger is "glued" on the fret (eg. III., V., VII, ...) and the others fingers are used for position V.+1, V.+2 till V.+4. This will minimize the movement of the hand and give a maximum on stability. The index finger is often used in this case as an anchor.

Wikipedia said: "In common with other classical stringed instruments, classical guitar playing and notation use formal positions of the left hand. The 'nth position' means that the hand is positioned with the first finger over the nth fret."

a special case of LH Fingering is the "campanella" style.
I know this topic is a little old, but this is brilliant. So many people say they "figure it out," me, too, but I'd love to hear more about the reasons behind good fingerings so I can "figure it out" a lot faster. I sometimes find it hard to make progress on a piece just because I can't decide on the best fingering (for the fretting hand) and keep changing. You seem to know more about this. Can you point me to more info on this?

Btw, I think I'm usually "glueing" the middle finger to keep the index free. Interesting.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 am
I find with difficult Bach I need to get good at each fingering before I can render a decision. That means hours learning each one (for me).
This accurately reflects my experience. Left-hand fingering is difficult. There can be many possibilities for each beat and unless you have to play F or F# on the sixth string, the possibilities and combinations are nearly endless. In addition to what finger to use, there is the issue of what finger to use as an anchor, when to remove each finger, when to slide the same finger to the next position on the same string, which finger to use to guide the slide, when to use a finger as an axis, and so on and so on.
Amayo's Metodología de estudio para la ejecución e interpretacíon de la guitarra clásica is the only book I have seen that discusses a systematic methodology for left-hand fingering. I recommend this book unhesitatingly, because it is freely available on the internet and discusses many issues in detail (left-hand fingering, interpretation, phrasing) that every guitarist needs to know and that I have not seen discussed elsewhere. Amayo advises letting your teacher guide you on the left-hand fingering, but that will not work for everyone.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”