How to decide on fingerings

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Yisrael van Handel

Re: How to decide on fingerings

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 pm

SunnyDee wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

I know this topic is a little old, but this is brilliant. So many people say they "figure it out," me, too, but I'd love to hear more about the reasons behind good fingerings so I can "figure it out" a lot faster. I sometimes find it hard to make progress on a piece just because I can't decide on the best fingering (for the fretting hand) and keep changing.
Just saw that you are in Mexico. At the risk of repeating myself, Amayo's Metodología de estudio para la ejecución e interpretacíon de la guitarra clásica is the only book I have seen that discusses a systematic methodology for left-hand fingering. I recommend this book unhesitatingly, because it is freely available on the internet and discusses many issues in detail (left-hand fingering, interpretation, phrasing) that every guitarist needs to know and that I have not seen discussed elsewhere. And I am assuming that the fact that it is written in Spanish will not deter you.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 pm
SunnyDee wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

I know this topic is a little old, but this is brilliant. So many people say they "figure it out," me, too, but I'd love to hear more about the reasons behind good fingerings so I can "figure it out" a lot faster. I sometimes find it hard to make progress on a piece just because I can't decide on the best fingering (for the fretting hand) and keep changing.
Just saw that you are in Mexico. At the risk of repeating myself, Amayo's Metodología de estudio para la ejecución e interpretacíon de la guitarra clásica is the only book I have seen that discusses a systematic methodology for left-hand fingering. I recommend this book unhesitatingly, because it is freely available on the internet and discusses many issues in detail (left-hand fingering, interpretation, phrasing) that every guitarist needs to know and that I have not seen discussed elsewhere. And I am assuming that the fact that it is written in Spanish will not deter you.
You assume right. Thank you. :)
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

eno

Post by eno » Tue May 09, 2017 3:40 pm

One simple but useful tip is not to use the same finger in consequitve notes or chords at different positions. In othre words, avoid the same finger jumping from one position to another in consequtive notes/chords. It will be especially problematic at higher tempo. Instead, use different fingers so that the other finger (for the next note/chord) can prepare or land on its position in advance independent of the first finger used for the current note/chord. In many cases (especially with chords) it's not possile to do but in most cases if it can be done then it should be done.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001 spruce
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969 cedar
Rokutaru Nakade 1967 spruce
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967 spruce
Takamine C136S cedar
Yamaha SLG200S silent

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Most published music for students of the CG does indicate a guide for fingering BUT the problem is that not all players have the dexterity required to utilize the recommended fingering sequence by the author. As a result the Best Method is the one that makes You the player play the sequence in the most comfortable manner that produces the music as written. Take each bar at a time and experiment with the recommended fingering and what you discover on your own that makes it Easier for you to produce a true musical sequence. Not all playes have the same length and facility of movement in their fingers. You must discover your own "system" that produces the best results to bring out the music as written. You are not to consider the printed recommended fingering as the "One and Only Way" to play that sequence of notes. Try to experiment with segments that brings you a challenge to find out the Best fingering Way For You in playing those notes.
After several tries you will find the best most comfortable right method and you will become a much better player for it.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 am

Joe de V wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 pm
Most published music for students of the CG does indicate a guide for fingering BUT the problem is that not all players have the dexterity required to utilize the recommended fingering sequence by the author. As a result the Best Method is the one that makes You the player play the sequence in the most comfortable manner that produces the music as written. Take each bar at a time and experiment with the recommended fingering and what you discover on your own that makes it Easier for you to produce a true musical sequence. Not all playes have the same length and facility of movement in their fingers. You must discover your own "system" that produces the best results to bring out the music as written. You are not to consider the printed recommended fingering as the "One and Only Way" to play that sequence of notes. Try to experiment with segments that brings you a challenge to find out the Best fingering Way For You in playing those notes.
After several tries you will find the best most comfortable right method and you will become a much better player for it.
I've found the same thing. I'm going through the Arling Shaeffer Guitar Instructor book and have found a few fingerings that I'm not convinced are the easiest. Assuming I'm not misunderstanding it...
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”