How fast to return finger to position

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

How fast to return finger to position

Post by twistedblues » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 am

Is the amount of time you take to return a finger to the starting position after plucking a string with a free stroke determined by how long the note lasts? I ask because I was trying to figure this out and noticed when people do faster staccato notes even if the next pluck isn't right after the current one.. they return the finger immediately and when they play slower notes the finger returns slower.

twistedblues

Re: How fast to return finger to position

Post by twistedblues » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Anyone?

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm

twistedblues wrote:Anyone?

It is too broad a question. "When you release the finger and return to the string" can only be answered by "it depends". There is immediate full release where the finger returns to the string, there is immediate release where the finger may not hover over the string it just played, but is not "held" away from the strings either. There is timed release where you may relax the finger that just played but not fully bringing it out over the strings. So there is no definite time that one MUST release the finger and return it to the string. Sometimes it is timed with the exchange between i and m or between a and i,m. Sometimes all fingers are released when p plays.
When beginners are taught, often they are taught immediate full release because many people hold a lot of dysfunctional tension in their hand and learning to release it all is the first step. The other releases are situation dependent.

Hope that helps.... maybe one of the teachers can elaborate on this explanation. :bye:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Makes sense! Thank you!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”