Barrios - Las Abejas - Coda

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
andreas777

Barrios - Las Abejas - Coda

Post by andreas777 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:51 am

At the moment I memorize Las Abejas by Agustín Barrios. My music sheets says I should jump to the Coda after bar 9. But when I listen to the John Williams recording, then he jumps to the Coda after bar 15. In the internet most of the music sheets specify the jump after bar 9 but I also found versions where the jump is after bar 7. This is very confusing. :shock: Any thoughts about this?
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

lagartija

Re: Barrios - Las Abejas - Coda

Post by lagartija » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Many versions of Barrios' pieces exist because he himself played them differently if or when he performed them in concert and depending on when they were written down, the versions may differ in various ways.

Richard Stover, in his "Complete Works of Barrios" cites manuscripts for Las Abejas;
Manuscript in Barrios' hand from Borda y Pagola collection
Manuscript from Rómulo Bonilla Montevideo, Uruguay
Di Giorgio pp.34-35

The version Stover has in his book shows the jump to the Coda after bar 7.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

andreas777

Re: Barrios - Las Abejas - Coda

Post by andreas777 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm

lagartija wrote:...The version Stover has in his book shows the jump to the Coda after bar 7.
Thanks, lagartija :-) I think none of the specified solutions is perfect and my impression is that there is always a break when jumping to the Coda. Maybe I'm creative someday (or another forum user?) and compose 2 additional bars before the Coda.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”