Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Aamateur

Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

Post by Aamateur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi everybody I would just like some tips on how to start out learning and playing the classical guitar. I have only recently gotten my first guitar. Since I don’t have access to any classical guitar teachers, would it be suitable to self teach?

Do any other self-taught people (or guitarists in general) have any tips on what to practice/learn? I was thinking on focusing on learning individual songs, such as the Spanish song Romance (I prefer the Flamenco/Spanish sounding pieces).

Anyway, thanks in advance - I am looking forward to getting started!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Hello Aamateur, may I invite you to introduce yourself here?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Aamateur

Post by Aamateur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Hello Aamateur, may I invite you to introduce yourself here?
Of course :D

Aamateur

Post by Aamateur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Any tips anyone?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Aamateur wrote:Any tips anyone?
The best tip is likely to be to sign up for the lessons material and course work you can follow through this forum. Get in touch with a Moderator (like Erik Zurcher) if you need more advice on how to do that in detail. You'll find you get lots of help and support from fellow learners as you go. Good luck and have fun!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Aamateur

Post by Aamateur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Aamateur wrote:Any tips anyone?
The best tip is likely to be to sign up for the lessons material and course work you can follow through this forum. Get in touch with a Moderator (like Erik Zurcher) if you need more advice on how to do that in detail. You'll find you get lots of help and support from fellow learners as you go. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the reply, will be sure to look at those.
:merci:

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi,
Posture is critical; keep your shoulders over your hips and the head-stock level with your eyes. Use a footstool or a stack of books under your left foot.
Then, start with the right-hand alone for about 3 weeks. For example, play the Spanish Romance right-hand only.
All the best,
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

Aamateur

Post by Aamateur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:Hi,
Posture is critical; keep your shoulders over your hips and the head-stock level with your eyes. Use a footstool or a stack of books under your left foot.
Then, start with the right-hand alone for about 3 weeks. For example, play the Spanish Romance right-hand only.
All the best,
Lare
Thanks for replying and for the useful tips! I will be sure to use them :D

Semitone

Post by Semitone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:09 pm

I think the Parkening books are good for a beginner.

Lots of YouTube lessons so you can get some visual aids. Eventually you'll be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I particularly like some of the Romero lessons on YouTube and the Bream Masterclasses, although advanced can give you some insight.

I think watching a little Kazuhito Yamashita is entertaining since after all the rigid rules of classical guitar, it shows just how many you can break.

Flamenco and classical guitar have about as much in common as rice and potatoes. I think you are going to have to focus on one or the other initially. IMO the pedagogical/online resources for flamenco are harder to access and are more obtuse.

Hard to give more suggestions without knowing more background. E.g. Do you play any other instrument? Can you read music? Know any music theory? Stuff like that....

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I started out being primarily self taught, however I was an electric guitarist before I took up classical.

I found the Frederick Noad guitar technique books helped me; as well as the Noad books Renaissance Guitar, Baroque Guitar, Classical Guitar, and Romantic Guitar for music. I also found that actually having some lessons was essential for me in being taught the 'proper right hand' technique. I also had the Segovia Sor studies which helped me out.

Cheers!
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

Aamateur

Post by Aamateur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks all for the tips :D
:merci:

Aamateur

Post by Aamateur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Semitone wrote:I think the Parkening books are good for a beginner.

Lots of YouTube lessons so you can get some visual aids. Eventually you'll be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I particularly like some of the Romero lessons on YouTube and the Bream Masterclasses, although advanced can give you some insight.

I think watching a little Kazuhito Yamashita is entertaining since after all the rigid rules of classical guitar, it shows just how many you can break.

Flamenco and classical guitar have about as much in common as rice and potatoes. I think you are going to have to focus on one or the other initially. IMO the pedagogical/online resources for flamenco are harder to access and are more obtuse.

Hard to give more suggestions without knowing more background. E.g. Do you play any other instrument? Can you read music? Know any music theory? Stuff like that....
This is actually my first instrument so I’m an absolute beginner to everything musical.

Taylor 25

Post by Taylor 25 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Even if you are a self-taught CG player (as I am), I do think that it is useful to still find a local CG teacher for a lesson or two. This will aid you with your posture and help you to avoid any glaring mistakes in the very beginning.

In addition to the Christopher Parkening books, you could also sign up for Tavi Jinariu's online lessons. They have been very helpful to me in improving my posture, technique, and overall musicality. (Just google: Elite guitarist).

Steve

bear

Post by bear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

After 50+ years of teaching myself to play acoustic, electric and classical guitar, I believe the best way is to find a good teacher. Check out colleges and universities that teach guitar. Many of the professors offer private instruction.
Bad habits are the easiest ones to teach yourself and I will need another lifetime to make a dent in mine. There are several very competent even icon guitarists who are self taught. There are many more who are hacks. Either way, keep your expectations low. High expectations are always disappointing.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

fraim

Post by fraim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 pm

you might want to check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103248

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”