Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Aamateur

Re: Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

Post by Aamateur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm

fraim wrote:you might want to check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103248
Looks good! Thanks for that :D

Semitone

Post by Semitone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 pm

The best tip I can give you is: " learn how to practice"

( Assuming you are an adult)....I find a lot of adults get frustrated and quit because it doesn't come fast enough. In reality much of this is a self inflicted wound because adults always seem to find something else to do when it comes to practicing. Kids, work, chores....whatever..there is always something else to do. As an adult there is nobody breathing down your back to prioritize practice time.

You really need to practice DAILY...even if it is just a little. Consistency is key. 15 mins a day, everyday, is better than 1 1/2 hours on Sunday each week. Not to be too pesimistic...but if you don't prioritize daily practice you will most likely not achieve your goal of playing. I've seen a lot of people crash and burn as adults and I can comfortably say, it was self inflicted and the result of a lack of discipline rather than " lack of talent" or being "too old"

IMO, there is no better time to be self taught. The amount of free ( or inexpensive) and available resources online is astounding However, with no music background, it can be overwhelming. If you know somebody with a music background, say piano, it may help to have them organize/ coach your approach. Help you with some reading and music theory. There is nothing you can't do on your own..( except play with others....oops....backing tracks....make that nothing....lol). Actually with the internet you aren't anywhere close to being on your own. You can view more professional concerts in an week than one could attend in 20 years back in the 50s.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 pm

I am one of those self-learning players. I did have one advantage at the start since I knew how to read the music staff, This much I have learned...
There is not one single volume about CG playing that can provide you with every question and advice that you may need. In my learning period and still learning after 15 years - I have accumulated over a dozen volumes including those recommended by others in this blog to help me in to make progress.
I have taken several sections from each volume that "fits" my learning application skills to move ahead.In addition beside here at delCamp there are several web pages dedicated to classical guitar learning that may also be useful in the learning process.
This method of learning in my opinion is the 2nd best. The best in my opinion would be to have a private "qualified" tutor for CG.and here I am making an emphasis on a "qualified" tutor since there are so many called "Teachers of All Types of Guitar" that could not teach a dog to eat meat.
I am not making a joke of it - I know at least three teachers in the near-by metropolitan area that charge $25.00 for a 40 min. session and they Do Not Know How to Read the Musical Staff!!!. They will teach you chords they learned for popular songs and that's it. Buyer Beware Applies here.
For these reasons you will get a better education spending your money in printed material published to be use by classical guitar students and teachers. Good Luck and Enjoy your journey into the CG world

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 pm

I am teaching myself as well. Along with using this forum and the lessons here and sheet music, I also just recently purchased Frederick Noad's book 1 Solo Guitar Playing and will start that book soon. If at all possible get a CG teacher if you can.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

I learned to play guitar without a teacher, but I attended three classroom guitar courses at a local adult education center (in German: Volkshochschule). I think it's important that someone checks your positions, how you sit, that you sit up straight, how you hold the guitar, the positions of your hands and fingers, how you pull the strings, and other basic things that beginners often do wrong. For everything else it's your decision if you take a teacher or not. I started with some finger exercises that I downloaded in the internet, and then played all pieces from the good beginner book "Klassische Gitarrenstücke" by Stephan Schmidt. You should specify the fingering of your left hand and as soon as you reach an intermediate level you should care about the fingerings of your right hand too (what was my biggest mistake). For an amateur player it's important to find the right balance between playing nice pieces and having fun, and doing technical exercises like (e. g. pentatonic) scales to improve the own skills.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:10 am

There is plenty of stuff available nowadays, be it books and methods, be it free of charge interet courses or yt clips. But nothing of this can substitute a teacher. And another thing which has been mentioned is crucial as well: consistency in your practicing schedule. Take the guitar serious and practice every day. Otherwise you won't get very far with the guitar, which is one of the most difficult instruments one can choose.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

fraim

Post by fraim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:There is plenty of stuff available nowadays, be it books and methods, be it free of charge interet courses or yt clips. But nothing of this can substitute a teacher. And another thing which has been mentioned is crucial as well: consistency in your practicing schedule. Take the guitar serious and practice every day. Otherwise you won't get very far with the guitar, which is one of the most difficult instruments one can choose.
Sage advice!

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:36 pm

What helped me was to follow the grades of various recognized institutions of such as Royals or Trinity Schools of Music.There you get an idea of the standard cg repertoire.The curricular are usually freely available.That should keep you going till you find a teacher to help you along ,if available that is.

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 am

You need some kind of help and input from a human teacher who can sit in front of you, and spot mistakes and help you correct them. IMHO this is indispensable. Even if you can't take regular lessons, arrange to have occasional sessions with a teacher. Anyone is going to make mistakes, and unless you are one of the fortunate few who can figure out everything on their own, your mistakes are going to become more entrenched as time passes, and correcting them will become progressively more difficult.

I'm telling you this from my own experience. I wasted a lot of time. Don't let it happen to you.

Uriel Garcia
Student of the online lessons

Post by Uriel Garcia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:50 pm

I started with this book: "Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method: Grade 1 (Grade 1)"

Although it was not specifically for the Classical guitar, I was able to learn how to read music notation with that book. I took it easy with many repetitions in the beginning, but not practice a little more intermediate stuff. All mostly self-taught. I recommend you delve into some music theory knowledge and download or purchase a metronome app.
2010 Kala KA-CGE Concert Uke'
2013 Robert England "Hauser Inspired" /Spruce Top
2014 Fender USA Nitro Strat
2016 Robert England "FE-17" /Spruce Top

henders

Post by henders » Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 am

What about finding a teacher who will give online lessons?

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Addressing your specific question- where No teacher/tutor is involved - Yes you can learn to play reasonably-well the classical guitar but you will always need to constantly need to correct and/or improve your technique withing your own skill level. One essential Need for this goal will be to learn to sight read music - at the minimum the music for guitar which remains in print within the treble "G" clef.
I am a self-learner player but I knew how to sight reading music before i started when I was in my early 70's. In addition, I have accumulated over a dozen volumes of learning to play the CG and I can tell you that Not One Volume can teach you everything you need to know or being the One and Only volume to learn and understand the suggested lessons for playing the CG.
One other attribute that you must practice in self-learning is Patience. Do Not Rush thru a Lesson. Take your time to understand what the lesson is trying to achieve before moving/rushing to the next step. Good Luck and enjoy your journey into the CG world.

rogarc

Post by rogarc » Tue May 02, 2017 3:08 pm

I second the person that listed the Frederick Noad Solo Guitar Volume I and II. I am mostly self taught. I took some lessons for about a year off and on when I first started playing. That book was recommended to me. I still had it when I started studying again and it is very helpful. It talks about how to hold the guitar, how to sit, how to read music, etc. There may be others that are better but that is what I use.

I also second Youtube. It is a great resource for learning. One of the channels I like is https://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicalGuitarShed.

On a final note, occasionally learning popular music can be a fun and rewarding process too. Classical guitar music tends to be more complex and while beautiful, it can sometimes take me a week to learn a song. Longer to learn it well. However, you could learn something like Tears in Heaven in 10 minutes. So I use popular music as a break from the rigorous study so I can enjoy an accomplishment quickly.

rogarc

Post by rogarc » Tue May 02, 2017 3:12 pm

One other thing that is helpful is recording yourself play. Something I heard on youtube, but if you play so you sound good to yourself, you will sound good to others.

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Wed May 10, 2017 3:03 am

henders wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 am
What about finding a teacher who will give online lessons?
I already knew about Andreas who teaches online and is geared towards complete beginners to intermediates.
Googling "classical guitar lessons online" should bring up other hits. If you have a web cam or can get on skype you're probably
in business unless costs are too high. (Other than Andreas I know nothing about the other entries)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”