Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
clivepics

Re: Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

Post by clivepics » Sun May 14, 2017 2:08 pm

I woud suggest recording yourselg - playing back what you hear and listening critically to what you hear will take part of the place normally taken by a teacher.

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm

If you already have a foundation in music theory, try the Sagreras Lecciones. Click on the name Sagreras at the top of this page for the downloadable Delcamp edition, or find hard copies. I'm finding that they are marvelous. But: go in sequence and don't flit here and there.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 pm

I taught myself ......however at the very beginning, I had an excellent guitar teacher for about one year......I also had my violin teacher for about 4 years from the beginning...although I have not played violin after high school...

The basics has to learn from qualified teacher....to check your play at the very beginning is necessary...

You can teach yourself. However you still have to go to primary school, middle school, college and university... Same as learning guitar...

At the very beginning, you have to learn from qualified teacher to make your learning more effective and efficient !
Otto Vowinkel Concert,
German V. Rubio Concert

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Wed May 17, 2017 4:24 pm

As a self learner using CG volumes I will recommend that you learn to sight read the musical staff and you will progress rapidly. Once you learn sight reading the CG music staff there are several published volumes that can help your learning at your own speed. If I were a teacher one that I found very helpful for any student and particularly beginners level student is the volume by guitarist David Braid "Play Classical Guiar" - A complete guide for Mastering the Classical Guitar. - published by BACKBEAT BOOKS - an imprint of Music Players Network. Cost $29.95 - check it at Amazon under music education books.
You will find it an easy reading and well worth the cost - similar to one lesson from a qualified CG tutor. It also Includes a CD.I found it to be a good reference source for the rest of my life as a CG player.

Rick Yzaguirre

Post by Rick Yzaguirre » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

I have a tip ... every day start your practice by playing something you think is simple and beautiful, maybe a few pieces like that. After those small victories you will be confident enough to play your daily exercises and routines. And then tackle harder stuff with even more confidence.

Frederick Noad Solo Guitar, in my humble opinion, is way better than Parkening and others I've tried. It starts with short exercises that have to be learned slowly. And its mostly a grind but it gets you playing so find some fun stuff to play as well like Sor and Carcassi studies. Don't be afraid of learning new positions, they are very frustrating at first but pay off big later.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 am

Semitone wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 pm
The best tip I can give you is: " learn how to practice"

You really need to practice DAILY...even if it is just a little. Consistency is key. 15 mins a day, everyday, is better than 1 1/2 hours on Sunday each week. Not to be too pesimistic...but if you don't prioritize daily practice you will most likely not achieve your goal of playing.

I'd second this.
I'm struggling for time at the moment and found over a couple of days of 15 mins sessions that I was progressing more than I thought I would be.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:06 pm

40 years ago I studied under a very qualified teacher (he was in a Segovia masterclass) so I feel that I began by using correct techniques. Now after moving several times and finally retired, I began again. Now I have more time, but like so many others, old age brings ailments (left hand problems). Anyway as far as I can tell, there are no qualified classical guitar teachers here (live in a town go about 30,000) . So I started playing scales a lot and Etudes. I am working on 'simple' pieces within my capability. One is a ragtime piece, and another is Bach's Joy of Man. Progress is really slow, but what else do I have to do. I am really enjoying this forum, since it is my only contact with the CG community.

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Taylor 25 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:04 pm
Even if you are a self-taught CG player (as I am), I do think that it is useful to still find a local CG teacher for a lesson or two. This will aid you with your posture and help you to avoid any glaring mistakes in the very beginning.

In addition to the Christopher Parkening books, you could also sign up for Tavi Jinariu's online lessons. They have been very helpful to me in improving my posture, technique, and overall musicality. (Just google: Elite guitarist).

Steve
Thanks for the words affirmation Steve! I am glad you are growing as a musician with EliteGuitarist. Cheers!
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”