Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
clivepics

Re: Tips for self teaching classical guitar?

Post by clivepics » Sun May 14, 2017 2:08 pm

I woud suggest recording yourselg - playing back what you hear and listening critically to what you hear will take part of the place normally taken by a teacher.

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm

If you already have a foundation in music theory, try the Sagreras Lecciones. Click on the name Sagreras at the top of this page for the downloadable Delcamp edition, or find hard copies. I'm finding that they are marvelous. But: go in sequence and don't flit here and there.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 pm

I taught myself ......however at the very beginning, I had an excellent guitar teacher for about one year......I also had my violin teacher for about 4 years from the beginning...although I have not played violin after high school...

The basics has to learn from qualified teacher....to check your play at the very beginning is necessary...

You can teach yourself. However you still have to go to primary school, middle school, college and university... Same as learning guitar...

At the very beginning, you have to learn from qualified teacher to make your learning more effective and efficient !
German V. Rubio Concert, S/MP
Otto Vowinkel Concert, C/BRW
Kenny Hiil Performance, Double Top/MP
Juan Hernandez Torres, S/IRW

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Wed May 17, 2017 4:24 pm

As a self learner using CG volumes I will recommend that you learn to sight read the musical staff and you will progress rapidly. Once you learn sight reading the CG music staff there are several published volumes that can help your learning at your own speed. If I were a teacher one that I found very helpful for any student and particularly beginners level student is the volume by guitarist David Braid "Play Classical Guiar" - A complete guide for Mastering the Classical Guitar. - published by BACKBEAT BOOKS - an imprint of Music Players Network. Cost $29.95 - check it at Amazon under music education books.
You will find it an easy reading and well worth the cost - similar to one lesson from a qualified CG tutor. It also Includes a CD.I found it to be a good reference source for the rest of my life as a CG player.

Rick Yzaguirre

Post by Rick Yzaguirre » Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

I have a tip ... every day start your practice by playing something you think is simple and beautiful, maybe a few pieces like that. After those small victories you will be confident enough to play your daily exercises and routines. And then tackle harder stuff with even more confidence.

Frederick Noad Solo Guitar, in my humble opinion, is way better than Parkening and others I've tried. It starts with short exercises that have to be learned slowly. And its mostly a grind but it gets you playing so find some fun stuff to play as well like Sor and Carcassi studies. Don't be afraid of learning new positions, they are very frustrating at first but pay off big later.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 am

Semitone wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 pm
The best tip I can give you is: " learn how to practice"

You really need to practice DAILY...even if it is just a little. Consistency is key. 15 mins a day, everyday, is better than 1 1/2 hours on Sunday each week. Not to be too pesimistic...but if you don't prioritize daily practice you will most likely not achieve your goal of playing.

I'd second this.
I'm struggling for time at the moment and found over a couple of days of 15 mins sessions that I was progressing more than I thought I would be.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:06 pm

40 years ago I studied under a very qualified teacher (he was in a Segovia masterclass) so I feel that I began by using correct techniques. Now after moving several times and finally retired, I began again. Now I have more time, but like so many others, old age brings ailments (left hand problems). Anyway as far as I can tell, there are no qualified classical guitar teachers here (live in a town go about 30,000) . So I started playing scales a lot and Etudes. I am working on 'simple' pieces within my capability. One is a ragtime piece, and another is Bach's Joy of Man. Progress is really slow, but what else do I have to do. I am really enjoying this forum, since it is my only contact with the CG community.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Taylor 25 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:04 pm
Even if you are a self-taught CG player (as I am), I do think that it is useful to still find a local CG teacher for a lesson or two. This will aid you with your posture and help you to avoid any glaring mistakes in the very beginning.

In addition to the Christopher Parkening books, you could also sign up for Tavi Jinariu's online lessons. They have been very helpful to me in improving my posture, technique, and overall musicality. (Just google: Elite guitarist).

Steve
Thanks for the words affirmation Steve! I am glad you are growing as a musician with EliteGuitarist. Cheers!
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

CJMoka

Post by CJMoka » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:56 am

I was gonna start a similar thread, but then found this, great read, will be taking a lot of the advice given and trying to apply it myself.
Thanks,
CJMoka

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 am

I signed up to: https://www.classicalguitarcorner.com/ run by Simon Powis last year. I recommend this site, and the teaching material/approach. It includes video lessons, learning resources, music repertoire, structured curricula suitable for all levels (including sight reading and music theory), exam options, online seminars, and an active forum. You can submit pieces that you are playing for review, or just sharing. Many members have just started playing classical guitar, even late in life. You can look at the free lesson without initial commitment to see if it is for you. Good luck. Cheers... Richard

Leendavid89

Post by Leendavid89 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:36 pm

There are many pitfalls in teaching yourself. The worst is not knowing where to start or what to work on. In my opinion the inundation of material on the web just makes it worse. A good teacher will give you focus and direction. They will guide you through material correcting as you go. It is not how much music you play that is important. This is not a race. Make sure your teacher has at least a BA in guitar from a university. I think technique and music reading is way more important than learning pieces. You want to learn how to fish, not just catch a fish one time. With these skills under your belt you can go and choose a repertoire and play it with some confidence yourself.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Self taught players have the least experienced teachers. Would you take classes from a beginner that didn't know how to play either (even if they were free)? Of course not. Self taught people not only don't know where to start learning, they have no idea how to teach. One of the biggest pitfalls is you won't be able to identify problem areas and may develop very bad habits.

My advice for self taught people, is to at the very least, take a few classes in the beginning so you start out on the right foot (many things, such as posture for example) can't be learned just from watching videos and tutorials. Then as you progress with self study, take an occasional lesson to identify problems and get some direction as to how you might deal with them (corrections to posture, technique, etc. and suggestions for studies and pieces that might help strengthen one's weaknesses).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Joey Grimaldi

Post by Joey Grimaldi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:25 pm

When I first started playing as a young teen my parents didn't want to get me lessons so I tought myself for about 4 years, in my opinion the time was very valuable to my growth as a player.

Because I wanted to learn I sought after knowledge wherever I could find it, friends, books the internet etc. it also made me value the information I got greatly and I became obsessed with exploring and understanding the guitar on my own. I perhaps developed some bad habits but they were easily corrected when I got a teacher at college later on, the ability to teach my self never left and became highly developed. A teacher is only with you one or two hours a week if your lucky, you are with yourself 24/7, not knowing how to properly teach ones self is a major detriment to skill developement in any discipline. It also allows you to become more critical of your teachers, they have problems and idiosyncrasies of their own, and knowing how to spot those is helpful to getting the most out of them.

That being said, the most important advice for teaching yourself in my opinion is:

Get an electric tuner and always play in tune, learn how to tune on your own as well but the electric tuner is much easier for the beginner.

learn chords and scales, play some rock and pop music, it allows you understand positions better. Classical guitar is not the natural state of guitar playing, it's an accompaniment instrument primarily, it's easier to develope the basic skills of music with simpler music. Especially rhythm, it's the primary component of music, even classical.

Be critical of yourself, examine everything about your playing, how your fingers feel, the level of pressure and most importantly the tone and the sound.

Try to develope the ability to hear in your head what you want to hear out of the guitar, the mind is what is really playing the instrument, the fingers and guitar are just extensions of the former.

Be obsessed, perhaps the most difficult aspect is that self teaching requires more work, when I started I was playing or learning every chance I could, if I was unable to play I was thinking about it, playing in my head, tapping rhythms etc.

Listen to a ton of music, only compare yourself to professionals. How can you know how you want to play if you don't have any reference?

Play with other musicians, like I said guitar is for accompanying primarily, your rhythm and musicality will grow tremendously when you play with others.

Record yourself, in the year 2017 there's no excuse for not being able to record yourself and listen back, it is vital to understand how you actually sound when your not distracted by playing the guitar.

And most importantly have fun and love playing, if you don't how will you ever improve?

I suppose that's my 2 cents on the topic, my final note is to understand what you want out of your playing, if your doing it for your own enjoyment and playing a bit for others self teaching is fine. If you want to be a professional, you will most likely eventually need a teacher.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”