Lost in all the information

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Jason Hensley

Lost in all the information

Post by Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi I have been playing guitar for a few years. I bought a classical guitar a few months ago. I decided to relearn guitar from the ground up. I am lost right now and not too sure where to go next. I will list everything I have learned so far so as to be as much help out of the gate as is possible.

Chords : DM, AM, EM, GM, CM, FM, Dm, Am, Em, Gm, Cm, FMaj7, G7, C7, B7, A7, D7, E7, How to form any power chord based off 6 and 5 string, Asus 2/4, Dsus2/4, Esus4,

Slash Chords : D/F#, G/B (2versions) C/G

Barre Chords: E shape barre chord using the shapes of M,m, 7, 7 and m7
A Shape, M,m,m7, Dom7

Scales : Minor Pentatonic, C Major(Am), G Major(Em). I have also learned all of the shapes that allow me to switch keys simply by moving the shape to a new root note.

I have also learned how to find octaves forwards, backwards and how to use the CAGED system to find them going up the fretboard.

Sight Reading: I have practiced random sight reading, and random rhythm reading using online sources so I know that I am sight reading and not just replaying what I already know.

Pieces I have learned : Ode to Joy - Beethoven, Andantino in C - Carulli.

What Ive currently been studying : 120 Right Hand Studies - Giuliani (using Scott Tenants suggested ordering from Pumping Nylon), Segovia Scales (have only worked on the first so far) and I began learning Carcassi Op60 Etude 1 and was going to learn all 25 but am considering that may be a wrong choice.

As for theory I have been studying theory quite in depth learning about chords, intervals, and how they are structured.

I'm sure there are a couple things I'm probably forgetting here. With all this in mind I really have no idea what to do next. I need a bit of guidance. Any help in this would be very appreciated. Thank you for your interest, replies, and your time. Have a great day!!
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph. - Robert E. Howard.

souldier

Re: Lost in all the information

Post by souldier » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

I think what you really need to determine is your goal. Your goals will determine what to learn. Is your goal to play accompaniment while playing by ear? Or is your goal to learn how to build technique and musicality in order to play solo classical repertoire or other instrumental pieces?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Jason Hensley

Post by Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 pm

My goal is undoubtedly to play solo classical repertoire.
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph. - Robert E. Howard.

Jason Hensley

Post by Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 pm

But just knowing that really doesn't tell me where to go next. Should I just start learning pieces from now on and not really worry about much else or?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Try to find a piece you really want to learn which is at or just beyond your current skill level, and start learning it, along with continuing your technical exercises. As you discover things in the piece which are more difficult, you can isolate them and focus on that particular aspect during the technical exercises section of your practice.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Jason Hensley

Post by Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 pm

OK thank you very much for the suggestion guitarrista. Now Ive just got to work on finding some pieces that seem to be in my skill level.....

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Jason Hensley wrote:Now Ive just got to work on finding some pieces that seem to be in my skill level.....
... AND that you really like :-)

You can browse the free delcamp collections organized by skill level, starting at Scores for classical guitar - D01, D02, D03. It gives you an idea what pieces are at what level. Then you can also check out what some sound like by finding performances on youtube or elsewhere.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Jason Hensley

Post by Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you so much for that piece of information. I was just wondering if there wasn't something here to do that, and honestly would have been shocked if there wasn't considering all these classical musicians haha. Thanks again guitarrista.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Jason, it appears that you are listed as a student of the online lessons. If this is the case, then i would encourage you to keep working on the pieces that are set for you each week in your online lessons. There are many nice pieces to learn that hold up on their own in terms of musical value.

The other option you have is that to find a good classical guitar teacher who will not only improve your technical ability, but will also help you increase your repertoire.

Jason Hensley

Post by Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 pm

I am working on those but I wanted to work on other things at the same time as I know I'm well beyond a grade 01 level. I was only working on them just to see if I would technically make a grade level, and I can so lol I need some side projects that's just to simple but I do want to go through them as suggested grade by grade, but it simply not enough for me at the moment. I also don't have a teacher in my area either.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 am

Keep going. The levels go all the way to grade 12.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:28 am

I haven't done the online lessons here, but have looked through them, and recommended them to people. I just wanted to add that i think they are well organized and its a great idea to start even with the crazy easy stuff and go through. sure, the beginning is very easy. no problem, you'll move fast through them. The problems come when you start playing something way beyond where you ought to be and start to bog down. thats not so fun, so when that happens, people loose interest. Its a great idea to limit yourself to things you can learn in a sitting or two in the beginning i think.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm

You might consider some ear training. While what you're doing is good, it's ear training that's going to tie it all together.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Thu May 18, 2017 2:38 pm

hi!

What works for me the last 3 years , is my thirst for CG pieces that I'd love to play. ( I have also had 5 year lessons at the past ). So based on that thirst, I began to "fight" with pieces that were actually at higher levels.. And during time, I bought better guitar(s), had (have) lessons - you could also try skype lessons options - and generally surrounding my targets. Just giving you ideas of a target - what you could do to achieve it.

ps. It is very good and essential that you chase the theory and chords knowledge, although someone may proceed to new repertoire without much of it, it is very essential to know deeper what exactly is it what you play - also can be necessary for possible future goals :)
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Sun May 21, 2017 1:28 am

BugDog wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm
You might consider some ear training. While what you're doing is good, it's ear training that's going to tie it all together.
I second this. I was a classical guitar major in college, and I would say that the one class that did the most for me as a musician was aural perception and sight singing, even more so than the guitar lessons, though of course those were great too.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”