Learn "wrong" and fixing later?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
mvotre

Learn "wrong" and fixing later?

Post by mvotre » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 pm

So I just introduced myself and already got some questions:

I play without nails, and I'm learning some classical songs. But in some places, I know I got some trouble with both hands (like my wimp first finger barre on all 6 strings and some skipping strings problems :oops:); So I got both Pumping Nylon books with a friend, and I'm willing to do all the exercises from it. Probably I will not be able to do tremolos and all that stuff at the "normal" speed, but it's not a problem right now.

Anyway, my question is: should I still learn some pieces TOGETHER with the bool , and as I progress on the technical side, just fix some bad technique, or should I work at least a bit on basic skills at first and later on start with the songs? The former is nicer, but I read somewhere that it takes a lot of time to relearn/lose bad habits. Since I don't have all that time to study (1 hour per day), should be nice to just start right. But at the same time, even with some questionable fingerings, I'm evolving and the songs just started sounding better, wich is nice.

I already worked a lot on a fixed, stable and correct playing position, so at least something I got right :D

I believe I will keep playing the songs, and fixing stuff as soon as I find wrong places. But since we got lots of seasoned players here, someone probably made the same troubled road way, and got nice guidance to share.

mvotre

Re: Learn "wrong" and fixing later?

Post by mvotre » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:21 am

for example, answering for myself. With no nails, I'm testing and it's obvious to my ears and needs that rest stroke got a nicer tone on treble strings. I just played free stroke, so now I will make that compromise and relearn with other technique. I don't mind to lose some work, as long as the final results sound nicer :D

Bill B

Re: Learn "wrong" and fixing later?

Post by Bill B » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 am

I tell my students that you should always strive to play music and not get hung up on a tricky spot or a wrong note, but that being said, it is much easier to learn it right in the beginning than to re learn it right later. I think the solution is to only play stuff that is not too far beyond your realistic abilities at this time and play those pieces right. I think if you want to be a precise player that habit needs to come early. It's good to push yourself a bit, trying pieces that aren't easy, but they should be realistic. I hope this makes sense.
That being said, I tried to blow through stuff that was much harder than I was ready for in my earlier years, and I think that might have moved me on to better pieces faster, but I still wonder if my technique to this day wouldn't have been better if I had taken a more reasonable approach.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”