Can an Old Guy make it to 10,000 Hours? A rhetorical question

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Can an Old Guy make it to 10,000 Hours? A rhetorical question

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue May 09, 2017 4:24 am

ashepps wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:06 am
Rick,

Since you posted this as a retorical question, I wonder how many hours have been lost since your first post on April 27th?

It's a matter of doing as much as you can now. I find we get so caught up in discussion that our practice time has been replaced by reading and responding time among many other distractions.

I really love this forum and is indespensible at times.

The above, of course, is just my opinion and that it is great to be involved.

I do see where I have lost so much time over the past 3 years and to make it clear, not the time here at the forum reading posts and replying etc., but it can be time consuming.

I am 68 and feel that I have really only put in about one year of practice since I got back into guitar 3 years ago. I just have to do things differently and I am trying hard to get my act in gear!

I am going to leave this thread now and get back to some practicing!

Cheers - Alan
Ha ha. Good point Alan. On the list of time wasters taking time away from practicing, this forum falls way down on the list. Maybe "the cafe" is a little higher on that list.

I've been reducing my sessions to less than 45 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. When I can get one in early in the morning I have a good day. Afternoons are tough. But later in the evening is my best time to work on new or fun stuff. Unless there is hockey on TV. It's Stanley cup playoff time and my team is in it (Go Ducks go) so practice time is down a bit.

Any relation to Alan Shepherd the astronaut? He was my local almost hometown hero as a kid.

With that I am going to practice Sons de Carillhoes, the final exam piece for DO 5.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 am

Rick,

"Go Ducks Go"!

Just finished watching the Penguins (Crosby and MacKinnon are from the town of Cole Harbor 20 minutes away and actually just part of the greater City of Halifax area in Nova Scotia) get beaten by the Capitols. My team is Montreal with the Penguins next. I am still playing twice a week (Sept thru April).

Nice to see you with a great practice schedule you should do well with your next piece, I know it mostly as Sounds of Bells. I remember hearing it on a 1/2 hour radio show on 1977 and just had to find and learn the piece, which I did. It is one of my favorites. Good luck with it! I

am no relation to the astronaut, but when I was younger I had a job where I was calling the USA a lot and I was treated like a movie star just because of the name, this went on for a very long time plus I worked in Chicago in 2006 for 6 months and it was still happening.

Again, good luck on your exam and keep up your great practicing schedule, that's all you need, forget the "hours" just consider it a journey not a destination.

Cheers,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

plussa

Post by plussa » Tue May 09, 2017 5:40 am

I must say I am very impressed and inspired by your dedication and progress. I have watched a few of your YT clips, you have played your music beautifully. But as to the 10000 hour rule, i think age does play a big factor there. I am studying guitar along my 6 year old boy, and I don't think i can get the same result as he does. Children simply have better mental and muscle memory, i probably have to practice 10 times more to be able to catch up with him.

But whatever is outcome of your musical journey, you are my Guitar Hero!

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue May 09, 2017 3:47 pm

:merci: plussa. It must be cool to learn together with your 6 year old. I stopped playing the first time about the time my son got better at guitar than I was after playing about a year.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Duplicate post
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed May 10, 2017 4:38 pm

ashepps wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 am
Rick,
I am still playing twice a week (Sept thru April).
Good for you! What an awesome sport. I hung the skates up myself sometime in my 50's I think. A broken right thumb contributed to my long break from the guitar. But at least I still have all my teeth. :applauso:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 pm

[/quote]

Good for you! What an awesome sport. I hung the skates up myself sometime in my 50's I think. A broken right thumb contributed to my long break from the guitar. But at least I still have all my teeth. :applauso:
[/quote]

Rick,

We are way off the thread here, but good comeback!

I should have given it up hockey a few years ago. I don't know if you saw Crosby get tripped by the Capitols Goaltender in the last game and flew into the boards helmet first, well I did that exact same thing last March and I have not played since! I am OK, just hope the neck ache is gone by September!

Have a good one and thanks for the smile you have given me for the reply!

Cheers - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 am

No practice tonight. Game 7 in 12 minutes.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu May 11, 2017 1:48 am

Rick,

Just got home, 2-0 for the Pens!

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu May 11, 2017 2:15 am

Handshake. Congrats.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu May 11, 2017 5:04 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:15 am
Handshake. Congrats.
Right on, congrats as well!
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Rick,

Both your Ducks and my Pens are on their way!

Good luck...
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Thu May 11, 2017 6:28 pm

ashepps wrote:
I am 68 and feel that I have really only put in about one year of practice since I got back into guitar 3 years ago. I just have to do things differently and I am trying hard to get my act in gear!

Cheers - Alan
Good plan! Don't waste any of that quality time.

If one consults the oracle (statistics in this case, CDC, US govt.,) we senior guitarists have a tough row to hoe (or, extra hard strings to pluck.) Apparently, 20% of 65+ are deemed to be in fair to poor health. But, it sounds even worse considering chronic illnesses, (limited to a selection of 6, including diabetes, cardiovascular, COP, Asthma, Cancer and Arthritis,) where 65+ are at 85% having one chronic illness; 56% having two and 23% having 3. Of course, the figures get even worse above the age of 74. Oh my, what a dismal outlook, but we seem to be better at keeping seniors alive longer, so far.

I remember, in my youth, when I was introduced to my Dad's co-worker from the factory floor. Elmer had just reached 65 and was retiring, planning to go fishing at the lake we were vacationing at. I got the impression that reaching retirement was a rare occurrence and Elmer sure looked old to me! Unfortunately, poor Elmer wasn't at the lake the next year, but dead.

So it was. But now, we may live longer, instead are required to deal with chronic illness, (by definition, there is no cure for that!) Yes, this does impact our guitar practice. Upside is that we can afford a nice guitar! :D
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu May 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Eberhard Mueller wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:28 pm
ashepps wrote:

Cheers - Alan
Good plan! Don't waste any of that quality time.

If one consults the oracle (statistics in this case, CDC, US govt.,) we senior guitarists have a tough row to hoe (or, extra hard strings to pluck.) Apparently, 20% of 65+ are deemed to be in fair to poor health. But, it sounds even worse considering chronic illnesses, (limited to a selection of 6, including diabetes, cardiovascular, COP, Asthma, Cancer and Arthritis,) where 65+ are at 85% having one chronic illness; 56% having two and 23% having 3. Of course, the figures get even worse above the age of 74. Oh my, what a dismal outlook, but we seem to be better at keeping seniors alive longer, so far.

I remember, in my youth, when I was introduced to my Dad's co-worker from the factory floor. Elmer had just reached 65 and was retiring, planning to go fishing at the lake we were vacationing at. I got the impression that reaching retirement was a rare occurrence and Elmer sure looked old to me! Unfortunately, poor Elmer wasn't at the lake the next year, but dead.

So it was. But now, we may live longer, instead are required to deal with chronic illness, (by definition, there is no cure for that!) Yes, this does impact our guitar practice. Upside is that we can afford a nice guitar! :D
I can't argue with your facts but I tend to see the glass 80% full; that is 80% of >65 are in good to excellent health.

Live long and prosper and play guitar.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 11:45 pm
I can't argue with your facts but I tend to see the glass 80% full; that is 80% of >65 are in good to excellent health.

Live long and prosper and play guitar.
Well, I only posted these stats on this thread to further discussion. :D Please note that, inherently, the pessimist is also the realist.

Current definitions of what constitutes seniors' good health is rather sloppy Pollyanna because our medical institutions both brag and then gloss over their limitations. They make our elderly merely functional, not healthy by my understanding. But, that medical outcome of functionality is closer to walking wounded for most and a cabinet full of pills. We do know that 85% of 65+ have a chronic illness (definition limited to the six chronic illnesses surveyed.) This did not include deaf, blind, crippled, varieties of mental incapacity, and a slew of side effects from treatment, any of which would crimp one's guitar practice style. For this reason, I laud the few that are capable of taking up classical guitar (and other exacting pursuits) at an old age - the intrepid few! I also laud the intrepid few, musicians who are at a much younger age, who can meet the highest bar of virtuosity. I certainly enjoy what I see and hear from them, despite my old eyes and ears!

The retired senior should have his or her fun with the guitar, 'though! :D I'm not about to discourage any of that.

Perhaps it might be useful to conjecture about if, when and where a senior student has an advantage over the young student? I already mentioned one. He can afford a nicer guitar. :D
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”