"To have the notation for any common song displayed on my computer and arranged for guitar"

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Zesty feline

"To have the notation for any common song displayed on my computer and arranged for guitar"

Post by Zesty feline » Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 am

Hey everyone, I'm trying to achieve this goal, but I may have a few possible barriers, I have a program called "TablEdit" which displays notation and tablature in both musical and written forms, there is far more notation than sparse and often incorrect tablature yet I have encountered a problem, I proceed to learn a piece of music and it's arranged for a piano and the notes are far too high so they need to be transposed, perhaps I could find scores arranged for the guitar but wouldn't that greatly limit the music available to me? I want and need to have access to it all, I want to be musical!

The guitar is sitting in the corner but it ain't about that, it's all about this computer and getting the scores and music material in front of my face, and I need advice..

How can I get any "commonly" known classical or contemporary song arranged in the open position for classical guitar up on my computer screen, I will go to the ends of the Earth to know and need wisdom on this matter, thank you.

:merci:

bert

Re: "To have the notation for any common song displayed on my computer and arranged for guitar"

Post by bert » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am

Zesty feline wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 am
How can I get any "commonly" known classical or contemporary song arranged in the open position for classical guitar up on my computer screen, I will go to the ends of the Earth to know and need wisdom on this matter, thank you.
You have to make sacrifices, so I don't think it is possible to (satisfactorily) arrange any piece there is for classical guitar. You might be able to play almost any melody there is, but having accompaniment or muliple voices together limits what you can do. The better a guitarist is, the further he or she can go in what's possible in an arrangement, so maybe you should start by becoming an excellent classical guitarist.
Zesty feline wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 am
The guitar is sitting in the corner but it ain't about that, it's all about this computer and getting the scores and music material in front of my face, and I need advice..
Sorry to sound unpleasant, but if the guitar is sitting in the corner then it doesn't matter how much music is available to you. Just start playing what you have. There's already quite a lot you can get your hands on.

bear

Re: "To have the notation for any common song displayed on my computer and arranged for guitar"

Post by bear » Sun May 07, 2017 12:01 pm

A lot of the music that I like is not written for cg. I don't care. My grandson is a concert pianist, when he move out he left stacks of music. I use them all the time.
I just purchased a jazz collection. The edition I wanted was not written for guitar of any type.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sun May 07, 2017 12:39 pm

I like Musescore because it can automatically create a tab from notation. Naturally, you might edit the tab since the guitar can play the same note in different places, but it's relatively easy to do. Is that what you are going for? Musescore has a great deal of classical music already notated that you can download, all free.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Zesty feline

Post by Zesty feline » Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am

SunnyDee wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 12:39 pm
I like Musescore because it can automatically create a tab from notation. Naturally, you might edit the tab since the guitar can play the same note in different places, but it's relatively easy to do. Is that what you are going for? Musescore has a great deal of classical music already notated that you can download, all free.
Hey you are onto something, I further brainstormed on what I'm trying to do and I think I worked out a method.. yes Musescore is like TablEdit only completely open source so I have installed Musescore.

If I familiarize myself with this program I can write any notation of my choice into Musescore and have it displayed in both notation and tab, the only thing stopping me is transposing what is universal "piano range" music into the range of the default open position guitar, however I think I have worked out a method for transposing to the guitars open position range as indicated in the image below.. it would involve simply moving a musical piece from the white keys down or up some octaves until it can be played within the guitars coloured keys range, not reallllly transposing anything is it? just changing octave so that's easy.

In summary I believe that once I familiarize myself with using Musescore and put to practice this transposition method I guess I can have any written notation on my computer and arranged for guitar like I wanted, can anyone spot a flaw in this method? or have we hit the gold mine?

bert

Post by bert » Tue May 09, 2017 6:04 am

I'm afraid you started on the wrong key of the piano. lowest note in standard tuning is an E, you have the lowest note on the keyboard as a C.
If you're interested in tablature, you will find that most tab has the lowest string on the bottom, just mirrored compared to your guitar drawing.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 am

Please see also

viewtopic.php?f=130&t=79606

Bernhard

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Thu May 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Zesty feline wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am
SunnyDee wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 12:39 pm
Hey you are onto something, I further brainstormed on what I'm trying to do and I think I worked out a method.. yes Musescore is like TablEdit only completely open source so I have installed Musescore.

In summary I believe that once I familiarize myself with using Musescore and put to practice this transposition method I guess I can have any written notation on my computer and arranged for guitar like I wanted, can anyone spot a flaw in this method? or have we hit the gold mine?
Musescore is a goldmine. No doubt about that. The lowest note on guitar is E2. It helps to know which E. This chart is helpful in that regard.
www.dbepub.com/wp-content/OPEN/Guitar_F ... _Notes.pdf

This is really simple, but I made it for myself and found it helpful. http://www.dbepub.com/wp-content/OPEN/naturals.jpg
Note Musescore won't show 3 notes at the same place so the notation doesn't exactly reflect the tab.

I'm happy to exchange Musescore notes/knowledge (mine is limited)/ideas via PM if you are interested. I really love it.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”