Do Bass Players basically use classical technique?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
DavisComposer85

Re: Do Bass Players basically use classical technique?

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:23 am

Some electric bass players has similar right hand technique from Classical Guitar, especially 6-string electric bass players.

Dominique DiPiazza, Damian Erskine, Janek Gwizdala, etc..

Gary Willis holds his electric bass in Classical guitar style.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:28 am

I used to play bass guitar with a pick for almost 30 yrs.When I took to CG 15 yrs back I thought finger bass would be a walk in the park.No chance its two different worlds for me.Different disciplines entirely.If I record a bass guitar now finger style, I find I get a good round sound by letting the RH rest more horizontally to the strings than the perpendicular as with the CG.

I suppose as time moves on "rules" for the Electric Finger Bass will manifest themselves akin to that of the "Tarrega Rules" for the Solo Guitar CG.For the moment things seem quite arbitrary depending on the subjective opinions of individual teachers and players, which is not quite the case with the Solo Guitar CG discipline, to my understanding.I am generalizing of course, and open for debate in rebuttal
Last edited by Non Tabius on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 am

I can vouch one has to be careful not to use the nails when plucking the strings of an electric bass guitar. Otherwise it is easy to break them. Personally I like round-wound strings for a bright sound.

I prefer to play the bass guitar seated with the instrument resting on my lap (no strap).

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:47 pm

There are both similarities and differences. Bass players don't use nails and play mostly rest stroke single notes. The finger joint movements are basically the same.

Youtube
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

TKO

Post by TKO » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:59 am

If we are talking about fingerstyle electric bass, the style is somewhat similar but not the same. I've got a good look at this recently, because I'm returning to playing Classical Guitar also after almost 15 years a bass player (electric).

Because of the larger string size, and the more wider spacing in the bridge the plucking technique is a bit different. More advanced (very fast) players for example might use a "finger ramp" to stop the finger, is. the rest stroke is not aimed at the below string, but downwards to the ramp (which limits the movement and enables a faster bounce back). There's also an ongoing debate about anchoring the thumb to the pickup edge/lowest string/a designated thumbrest versus floating the thumb freely while playing. Some players use the thumb also, when the entire technique moves a bit closer to classical, because it might be combined with other fingers also - so you could say that if we're talking about Solo (electric) bass, we're getting pretty close to classical territory technique wise.

Upright bass is a totally different thing, IMO - all the way starting from the instruments position, playing posture etc.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”