Guitar Maintenance related issues

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Peskyendeavour

Guitar Maintenance related issues

Post by Peskyendeavour » Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am

I got a second hand guitar and shortly after the frets needed a dress and polish as it was poking out and catching. When I took it to the shop they also suggested that they could helped me install side guide dots properly instead of the self DIY fixed ones I had. I agreed to all that, and just collected the fixed guitar.
On collection, the guy said that while installing the side dots the wood chipped a little so he had to use a bit of filler around one of the holes.

The guitar now has a really strong smell to it, whether it is the polish of filler or both, but is quite distracting when playing.

My question is what is the best way to clean the guitar and remove the smells? (To accelerate it from normal natural evaporation speed)

I am worried about using water to wipe for example as it's made of wood and don't want it to swell or have other side effects. I don't really know much about guitar maintenance generally. I hope someone here might be able to help so I can enjoy practicing again sooner rather than later! Thanks in advance!

georgemarousi

Re: Guitar Maintenance related issues

Post by georgemarousi » Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi!

For the smell issue I would just to keep the guitar outside its case for a few days. Dont use any chemicals. I guess that a cloth with *very little* wet would help ( if the guitar is not french polished ) .

Personally, If that helps, I use the dunlop product series to clean and polish the fretboard and the body of my guitars periodically ( 1-2 times/ year ), and I am very satisfied.
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Peskyendeavour

Re: Guitar Maintenance related issues

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Thank you georgemarousi !!!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”