Question re: Koehne's A Closed World

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
APK

Question re: Koehne's A Closed World

Post by APK » Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 am

Hi,

Please let me apologize in advance for the long post — which I hope that I’m posting in the right section.

I’ve just started to play the transcription for classical guitar of Graeme Koehne’s A Closed World of Fine Feelings and Grand Design and have come across a puzzling problem. The piece requires a drop D tuning. In bar twelve, the broken chords move in the following way: low F# (on the fourth fret of the tuned-to-D E string) combined with A (on the second fret of the G string); to D (on the open fourth string) combined with D (on the third fret of the third string); to F# (on the fourth fret of the fourth string) combined with G (on the third fret of the first string). After being unhappy with the fingering solutions that I had thought of, I searched the net for other possibilities and found two versions of the piece.

The first is by Jeong Hoon:
Mod Edit: Kink to copyrighted music removed; Search YouTube for 'A Closed World of Fine Feelings and Grand Design Jeong Hoon'

His fingering agrees with the guitar transcription that I have. But, since his is one of the fingering versions of bar twelve with which I came up and was somewhat dissatisfied, I continued my search.

I then found a second version by Matthew Miskin:
Mod Edit: Kink to copyrighted music removed; Search YouTube for 'A Closed World of Fine Feelings and Grand Design Matthew Miskin'

Unhappily, the video is somewhat dark or grainy. But what Matthew plays – the frets on which, so far as I can tell, his fingers fall in bar twelve – appears not to coincide with the sheet music that I have, which I purchased from a very reputable supplier. In fact, in searching for other transcriptions of the piece for guitar, I found that they were all absolutely identical with the version that I have.

In order to try to resolve the problem, I then searched for the original piano version by Koehne but could not find it. Here, then, is my question: can anyone tell me if the guitar transcription of Koehne’s beautiful piece is accurate and if the third couplet of bar twelve is actually F# (on the fourth fret of the fourth string) combined with G (on the third fret of the first string)? I’d be really grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks,
APK
Last edited by APK on Thu May 18, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnn

Re: Question re: Koehne's A Closed World

Post by tnn » Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 am

APK wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 am
Hi,

Please let me apologize in advance for the long post — which I hope that I’m posting in the right section.

I’ve just started to play the transcription for classical guitar of Graeme Koehne’s A Closed World of Fine Feelings and Grand Design and have come across a puzzling problem. The piece requires a drop D tuning. In bar twelve, the broken chords move in the following way: low E (on the second fret of the tuned-to-D E string)
In the version of the piece I have, published by the Australian Music Centre, the first low note is F#.
APK wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 am
combined with A (on the second fret of the G string); to D (on the open fourth string) combined with D (on the third fret of the third string); to F# (on the fourth fret of the fourth string) combined with G (on the third fret of the first string).
The rest of the notes in my copy are as you say. However, no fingerings are given. The rest of the measure is then F#-A to D-C# to F#-F#.

Rob

APK

Re: Question re: Koehne's A Closed World

Post by APK » Thu May 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Rob,

My apologies: yes, the first low note is indeed F#. Thank you for the correction. I have amended my original post. I, too, have the version published by the Australian Music Centre, which is now ubiquitous on sheet music sites on the net.

My problem, however, remains. Would you mind letting me know what fingering you use for the first three couplets of bar twelve of Koehne's piece? Also, can you – or anyone – discern what fingering Miskin is using? It is his playing of the piece that has me wondering whether the transcription for guitar is accurate.

Thanks,
A

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”