Fretting Hand Muscles

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
corius

Fretting Hand Muscles

Post by corius » Sun May 21, 2017 7:47 am

Hi,

I started playing again a few months ago and I'm tying to improve technique rather than just play pieces. I've been doing quite a bit of LH and scale practice etc from Pumping Nylon and I'm finding the muscles down the outside of my fretting hand are very slightly tender ( much like after doing sit-ups )

The fingers, tendons etc are fine, so I'm guessing that this is just the muscle strength improving for my pinky and 3rd finger. Is my assumption correct, or is my hand about to fall off?

rinneby

Re: Fretting Hand Muscles

Post by rinneby » Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm by no means a teacher but... It's normal to feel some tension and even muscle soreness when practicing new pieces, chords or scales. Especially when you haven't played for long. In fact this is an evil necessary, since your muscles needs to grow and get stronger, just like with any other training.

But you should stop immediately if you feel pain, this is most important. And be sure to take frequent breaks.

All the best from Sweden.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

You are the instrument, not the guitar

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 am

I did not play for a long time (about 30 years), from the early 80's until recently. Several months before I began again, a hand muscle between my left thumb and index finger, just disappeared overnight. I went to a Neurologist who didn't give a reason for this but prescribed a rubber ball to squeeze to rebuild hand muscles. The muscle that disappeared is gone, so I'm stuck with that. I recently bought a hand exerciser online that allows me to exercise 4 fingers individually by squeezing buttons attached to 4 little springs. This has helped me a lot.

I am still having a lot of difficulty doing a barre and I believe it's the weakness in my left thumb. I am still working with the hand exerciser and playing as much as I can and both things help. These hand exercisers are available in different strengths (springs have different stiffness) and I'm on version #2 (extra light) and ready to move to #3.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm

If the neurologist had no explanation or diagnosis of a major problem, it might be best to consult a physical therapist who will give the correct exercises and reasonable goals to meet between evaluations. Some of these devices that are sold can cause injury if used inappropriately.
There may be areas to strengthen before you work on strengthening your fingers with a spring resistance device.
Often,PTs will use elastic resistance bands that are carefully graded and more appropriate exercises. The weakness may not be where you think.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”