Which version of Bach's Gavotte en rondeau

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Joachim Hunstock

Which version of Bach's Gavotte en rondeau

Post by Joachim Hunstock » Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Hello everybody,
Recently I began to study 'Gavotte en Rondeau' by J.S. Bach.
I have got three transcriptions for guitar: A russion one, one in Bach-Book for Guitar vol. 2 (Edition Sikorski Number 480), both in E-Major. A few days ago I realized I've got another one by Agustín Barrios Mangoré (Ricky Stover's Vol. 2) in D-Major.
Clearly the finger-sets of the E-Major- and D-Major-Versions are different. I remember that hitherto I only heard it in E-Major on CD.
Perhaps some more of you have got some experience with this piece. Which version is more interesting with regard to the sound and the fluent finger-set? Barred chording doesn't pose a problem to me.
Awaiting your kind reply, regards,
Rano

ddray

Re: Which version of Bach's Gavotte en rondeau

Post by ddray » Wed May 31, 2017 5:00 pm

Rano wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 pm
Hello everybody,
Recently I began to study 'Gavotte en Rondeau' by J.S. Bach.
I have got three transcriptions for guitar: A russion one, one in Bach-Book for Guitar vol. 2 (Edition Sikorski Number 480), both in E-Major. A few days ago I realized I've got another one by Agustín Barrios Mangoré (Ricky Stover's Vol. 2) in D-Major.
Clearly the finger-sets of the E-Major- and D-Major-Versions are different. I remember that hitherto I only heard it in E-Major on CD.
Perhaps some more of you have got some experience with this piece. Which version is more interesting with regard to the sound and the fluent finger-set? Barred chording doesn't pose a problem to me.
Awaiting your kind reply, regards,
Rano
Have you tried the Delcamp version, freely downloadable here? I've downloaded the lute works and looked them over but haven't tackled them yet. The Delcamp version is in E major also. Click on the name Bach at the top of the page and find BWV 1006a.

Joachim Hunstock

Post by Joachim Hunstock » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello ddray,

Thanks a lot for the hint!

I downloaded the Delcamp version yesterday an I find it the most interesting of all versions I've got now.

Astonishing: That one in the Bach-Book (Edition Sikorkski) seems almost unplayable to me, and I always wondered why I made no progress with my efforts to master the piece.
The Delcamp-Version doesn't seem tho have these problems, and so I'm working with it now.

When you begin with the lute works, I'd be glad to hear from you again. Perhaps we can share our experiences with these pieces.

Kind regards,
Rano

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Rano wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:28 pm
Hello ddray,

Thanks a lot for the hint!

I downloaded the Delcamp version yesterday an I find it the most interesting of all versions I've got now.

Astonishing: That one in the Bach-Book (Edition Sikorkski) seems almost unplayable to me, and I always wondered why I made no progress with my efforts to master the piece.
The Delcamp-Version doesn't seem tho have these problems, and so I'm working with it now.

When you begin with the lute works, I'd be glad to hear from you again. Perhaps we can share our experiences with these pieces.

Kind regards,
Rano
I'm glad I could be of some help, and glad that you like that arrangement. :) Right now I'm concentrating on a couple of the cello suites, movement by movement, easier to more difficult :D They seem to be a little less demanding technically than the lute works, but when I start into those, sure, we can compare notes. Best wishes :)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”