Search for advanced metronome

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Whiteagle

Search for advanced metronome

Post by Whiteagle » Wed May 31, 2017 8:30 pm

I am looking for a metronome that can play the rhythm "dotted quaver and semiquavers". An app would be preferred. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Rasputin

Re: Search for advanced metronome

Post by Rasputin » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 pm

The easiest way to do that would be with a drum app like DM1. Otherwise the iOS app Tempo Advanced is very, er, advanced. I haven't had it long and have not actually tried doing that, but I would think there's a way. You could check on the website. I think I paid about £10 for it, whereas you'd get a drum app for free.

If you mean a desktop app, you could do it in MuseScore, which is free.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 am

I have found a solution on my existing app. Set the time signature as 4/4. Mute the 2nd and third beat. Whats left is a dotted quaver and semiquaver rhythm.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:53 pm

The Summerfield cheapo combined Tuner/ Metronomes from Frets Only can cope with lots of syncopated rhythms as well as time signatures up to 9 beats in a bar with an accent on the downbeat. Model number MT-555B.

Pede

Post by Pede » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:07 am

I have the 'Metrotuner live'. I think this is what you are looking for.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Metronomerous for Android allows that. You can configure rhythm patterns and even compose a whole piece with them, including different dynamics with each one.
It is fine for simple rhythms, for complicated and long stuff, another easier way is to use an app to write scores that allow playing them as midi. Then you compose whatever you like and choose a drum midi sound to play it.
At the end, I think it is better if you develop a way to build up the rhythm at your own, with your mind, developing concentration, focus and timing awareness.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 am

I use ProMetronome by EUM labs on my IPad. I really like it but eventually I will probably have to pay for some more advanced features like you are looking for. I haven't figured out how that part works - looks like you have to pay for each feature as you add it on to customize what you want in a metronome. So far I have been able to just use the free part, sometimes a little creatively like Whiteagle suggests.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:36 am

When I used to play electric I lived in tab world and couldn't read rhythmic notation. I thought it was something that took a lot of practice and it wasn't really a priority, so I would use tricks like this to figure out the rhythm when I didn't already know it from a record or whatever.

When I started classical guitar and started reading rhythms regularly, it became easy very quickly - much more quickly than I'd expected. That would never have happened if I had gone on using apps rather than figuring out the rhythm myself.

My teacher always nearly wants dotted quaver + semiquaver rhythms played a bit crisper than written, i.e. with the long note a bit longer and the short note a bit shorter. That sort of thing might be harder to do if you are tied to an exact template from an app.

I think it is better to use a metronome to check that you can keep a steady pulse when you want to. Using an ordinary metronome setting, you could play triplets for a bar (I mean two tied triplets and then one on its own) and then the dotted rhythm for a bar, to be sure that the difference is clear.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”