Self-taught sight-reading

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Non Tabius

Re: Self-taught sight-reading

Post by Non Tabius » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:38 am

I put pressure on myself by using a drum box.If you have a keyboard for example then use that drum box.I imagine myself having to sightread though I'm part of a section in any orchestra or band for that matter.It's almost the same pressure IMO as doing a recording session .The drum box is the conductor in this simulated scenario.Take easy pieces.Pieces you have not seen before.Slow the tempo to a practical speed.If you fluff just carry on.The challenge with the cg or solo guitar, I believe, is that one is not readerly exposed to the sightreading environment as most other orchestral instruments are.

So to navigate around that problem is to simulate a situation where, you create a mindset where you don't always find yourself saying "Oh sherbet I am sight reading! :oops: ".As the saying goes, "the more you do it the luckier you get".A metronome electric or otherwise works just as well.Don't worry about tempo markings at the initial stage.I something I try to do at least once a week.Somehow it becomes "enjoyble" especially if you find a nice little funkie beat that jams along eg. a bossa nova on Allemande De Visee.Most of the Baroque Suits were dances anyway, according to Noad book 2.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:37 pm

I came upon a youtube channel by gerubach, per site description:

"The goal of the Scrolling Bach Project is to provide all educators, composers, musicians and music lovers with a free online library of Bach's entire collection of his compositions in a scrolling format."

I think it is a great resource to learn sight reading by correlating the sound of a note as it scrolls on the score. Here's one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa1dcTVk2PU#t=11m59s

There are sites out there with tabs and scrolling scores with computer generated music but who wants to listen to that? Not me, at least not for long! gerubach's site is violin only but played by world famous violinist (Nathan Milstein in example above).

You can slow the speed down to 0.50 with youtube speed control for better results.

otofreq

Post by otofreq » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:14 am

Could someone explain the Asterick symbols on music scores I recently downloaded here. The symbols occur beneath notes, and are seemingly placed randomly (though I am sure there is order there) throughout the score. Please forgive my ignorance, as I am self taught.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 am

These symbols indicate that the note should be “damped” or silenced. It is used when allowing the not to ring on would result in disonance with the note now played.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:04 am

Sight reading can be a delicate subject with classical guitarists. I think maybe because so much of what we do is "okay, if I use this finger on that string for this note, then I might be able to play this other note with that other finger." I am not suggesting that sight reading isn't useful. It is. But maybe it isn't AS useful as it is to other styles of guitar. Maybe.

I once had a professional jazz guitarist studying with me for a while. He got it in his head that he wanted to go to grad school for classical guitar even though he was a jazz guitarist. Actually, lessons went well. He was a great student and progressed quickly. In a nutshell, here is what he probably learned the most from me: "You are already a great musician. You know how to play well and with great expression. But for some reason, you are afraid to do that with classical music like you do with jazz. Give yourself permission to play this music the way you already know it should be played."

Anyway, one day he came to the lesson and was most concerned and very serious because auditions were soon approaching. "Todd, we've never talked about sight reading in any of the lessons. Do you think it will be good enough?"

With laughter and a twinkle in my eye I said something like, "I am actually very jealous of your sight reading abilities. It is all of those years of playing from jazz scale books, melodies an octave higher, and playing them all over the fret board. You're not going to have any problems with the sight reading."

And he didn't.

But if you really want to learn something about sight reading...based on my experience, talk to the jazz players! ;-)
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA (available via Skype)
http://www.toddtipton.com

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”