Guitar method for self teaching college student

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
fumingelephant

Guitar method for self teaching college student

Post by fumingelephant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am

Hi,

I'm heading to undergrad next year. I started guitar the beginning of this summer, a few weeks ago. Currently I have the method books by parkening and noad, Kitharologus, pumping nylon, and a book on guitar pedagogy just to try to supplement my lack of a teacher. (also just read it now and then for poops and giggles because it's interesting seeing things from teachers pov).

I'm probably willing to dedicate roughly 1-2.5 hours each day to practicing guitar, I originally tried to play level 1 in kitharologus every day, and then play what I can in parkening, but found that I was moving through parkening too slowly, so now I am only working through parkening. Once I finish the first book and get to supplemental pieces I'll either start kitharologus or volume 2 of parkening. (Note that 'm not really rushing, even though it sounds like it. I'm probably going at a pace of 10 pages a week or less, the first 60 pages of parkening just introduces you to all the notes in first position, with no ornamental techniques whatsoever)

Thoughts on how I should approach practicing?

I'm about to check out the online classes on this forum, I'm not sure if I'll follow along, since the cycle is ending now and starting only in a few months, but I'll consider combining them with parkening if that's doable. I still have a lot of experimentation to do with my practice schedule since I've not had much time to try things out yet.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Re: Guitar method for self teaching college student

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 am

Hi !

Have you ever practiced an instrument before starting the guitar?
And what musical culture do you have?
It takes several years of studies to obtain a diploma of end of studies (baccalauréat, in France, then to go to the university).
With the guitar, there is no miracle; Many years of studious are necessary to obtain (perhaps) a suitable level and then study in a large school (conservatoire de musique, in France).

Good luck ! :chitarrista:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:51 am

I would get hold of Stanley Yates's book Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity, if you can stand the cost. If you already have Kitharalogus you probably have all the exercises you need, but Iznaola doesn't really set out to explain the whys and hows - Yates does this really well.

If you don't have a teacher, that probably makes it even more important to record yourself

fumingelephant

Post by fumingelephant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Isabelle Frizac wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 am
Hi !

Have you ever practiced an instrument before starting the guitar?
And what musical culture do you have?
It takes several years of studies to obtain a diploma of end of studies (baccalauréat, in France, then to go to the university).
With the guitar, there is no miracle; Many years of studious are necessary to obtain (perhaps) a suitable level and then study in a large school (conservatoire de musique, in France).

Good luck ! :chitarrista:
Yes, I started piano in ninth grade, and practiced quite diligently since I loved it (like 7-14 hours a week in the beginning) , so I have four solid years of classical piano under a Russian teacher.
Things I played in my last year ish : pathetique, leyenda by albeniz (funny), abs Clair de lune

What is musical culture? Right now I listen to Chinese pop music, romantic Era classical piano, random cute sounding French songs, and flamenco guitar (although not a lot, since I only recently started looking)

fumingelephant

Post by fumingelephant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:51 am
I would get hold of Stanley Yates's book Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity, if you can stand the cost. If you already have Kitharalogus you probably have all the exercises you need, but Iznaola doesn't really set out to explain the whys and hows - Yates does this really well.

If you don't have a teacher, that probably makes it even more important to record yourself
Yes, I'm splurging on good guiltlessly because I stopped piano classes, which will save me about 600 dollars in the next three months.

I'll look into the book.

Yea, I'm doing that because I'm pretty scared of establishing bad habits that will take forever to fix.

doug

Post by doug » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:04 pm

I like the online lessons that Simon Powis offers, because I can follow along at my own pace, and to suit my schedule. The cost is about $1 a day. I think the lessons are a very good value.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Won't there be a guitar teacher at the college? That would be my #1 recommendation.

When I did my guitar performance bachelor, we were three guitar majors and three non-guitar students who took lessons from our teacher. It was a great group of people. We played for each other and attended master classes together. It was a great way to learn and socialize for all of us.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”