Mental playing/solfegging, fingering time X play score in first read

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Mental playing/solfegging, fingering time X play score in first read

Post by Daniel Penalva » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi all,

Since started playing guitar, practicing techniques everyday, i seldonly have seem any recommendation to spend time, in every practice, solfegging a piece and studying fingering. Also i realize playing any score at first sight is a very different learning practice. From your experience how would you balance the time between those practices (if you put time in any of them) ?

Whiteagle

Re: Mental playing/solfegging, fingering time X play score in first read

Post by Whiteagle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi, what is solfegging?

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:09 am

I mean singing the notes of a piece.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:54 am

i work out my fingering on the guitar while working a piece up ... usually after I've more or less memorised it.
Solfeggio ... not so much
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Robin

Post by Robin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes,I always sing the piece, usually phrase by phrase as I learn it. Sometimes I play one voice part and sing another, other times sing the bass line or melody while playing the opposite part. Or just sing it without the guitar. It took me a long time to learn to do this but I believe having the music sounding in your inner ear, truly knowing what pitches come next and how the phrasing flows allows for more confidence and more musicality in playing.

Robin
So much music, so little time.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi Daniel,

I spend virtually all my time reading and fingering without the guitar. I have no time and find it not useful to practice sight reading.

Unless you have technical and reading skills/automated gestures for each note and articulation on the guitar like Ricardo Gallén and maybe a few others, I think you are just losing valuable time as you cannot care for phrasing, articulation, polyphony, singing voices and so on with the guitar...

llch

Post by llch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:01 am

Now I spend most of my time using metronome to do slow practice... I start with half the tempo or even quarter, then play it for a few times, and then proceed to faster tempo. In fact, I'm relearning everything I've done like almost ten years ago! So for new songs, lesser definitely...

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:22 pm

I forgot to mention that I try to rehearse mentally the works I know. As a way to spot where I don't know which fingers I use and to make sure I know the work enough to play it in concert. This doesn't work for chamber music, for the time being at least.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”