Tips from Thomas Viloteau

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
JohnyZuper

Tips from Thomas Viloteau

Post by JohnyZuper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:33 am

I have found in Thomas Viloteau's e-book In The Black Box a true treasure chest of clever tips on improving classical guitar technique. Here's some highlights that are particularly useful to me: http://olt.lt/ms/tips-from-the-black-box/.
―Michaël Samyn.

georgemarousi

Re: Tips from Thomas Viloteau

Post by georgemarousi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Michaël ,

Very interesting highlights and comments, thanks for sharing your article once again, very helpful notes !

Just a couple of *personal* thoughts:

I would only question the tip of resting a finger of the RH over a string for stability, I was advised against that and dont do it, and also I believe that such a habit would work against speed on the long run. I think the same principle for similar reasons applies to playing with a pic accoustics/electrics.

And an observation, I don't think that free stroke can ever be as full as a rest stroke. But we can always try to have a "fuller" free stroke. Finally we can mix and apply rest stroke periodically ( tip from a teacher ) , when we want to emphasize.

All the best!
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

llch

Post by llch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 am

I think there's no need to eliminate rest stroke completely... Remember when people were fighting for nails or no nails? And in the end there was a compromise! Lo and behold let's use a mixture of nail and flesh! I think that lies the key to rest stroke usage - use it when needed, use it if it fits musically and use it at your own discretion.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi Michael,
Thanks very much for posting this- very interesting. After that article I started reading some of the others on your site and really enjoyed them. Your post "An amateur in a land of aspiring professionals" (http://olt.lt/ms/an-amateur-in-the-land ... essionals/) was particularly interesting to me because it brings in a personal connection between me (amateur classical guitarist) and my son (aspiring professional double bassist).

Cheers, Chris
2014 Douglass Scott Cedar/EIRW
2010 Martin Blackwell Spruce/Cedar Double top/ EIRW

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 pm

In the black box is great. Check out technique, mechanism, learning if you interested in technique books. It's not an easy read but will worth it

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:47 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am
I would only question the tip of resting a finger of the RH over a string for stability, I was advised against that and dont do it, and also I believe that such a habit would work against speed on the long run.
Well, Pavel Steidl, Zoran Dukic, Pablo Márquez, Ricardo Gallén use this tip... And speed is not their main problem :lol:

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:20 am

ben etow wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:47 pm
georgemarousi wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am
I would only question the tip of resting a finger of the RH over a string for stability, I was advised against that and dont do it, and also I believe that such a habit would work against speed on the long run.
Well, Pavel Steidl, Zoran Dukic, Pablo Márquez, Ricardo Gallén use this tip... And speed is not their main problem :lol:
Manuel Barrueco does it as does most everyone. There are A LOT of things that teachers say that are just plain wrong, it's best to investigate and verify the legitimacy of any claim about technique with your own eyes and ears. Check out this thread for more of this issue

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80875
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am

Wonderful post, thought-provoking considerations.

While I play with the guitar and a near vertical position and would not put the top of the guitar under the chin, I love your comment about having the soundhole over the heart. :) Finding a good position to play in is very much about becoming intimate with your instrument isn't it?

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”