Advice on practice schedules

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Daniel Penalva

Advice on practice schedules

Post by Daniel Penalva » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi all,
i've been practicing starting in the morning with baroque pieces of Heinz Teuchert book, in the morning is the worst time to practice, i got pretty sad with the results. I also try to work the Delcamp material D02-D03, some pieces from D02-D03, but i can play pieces that are in D06(bwv 996 bourre and Ana Magdalena book Menuet) , also iam trying Sons de Carrilhoes from D05, so i dont know exactly where is my level.

I also spend some time on technical exercises and in Giuliani's Arppegios, but iam stuck on these exercises (iam promoting only arpeggios exercises, the other i dont know how to advance).
I know iam lacking on scales and maybe i need to record the pieces to hear me playing.

Iam trying 4h a day but there will be many days i cant do all this because of work.

Thank you in advance !

wchymeus

Re: Advice on practice schedules

Post by wchymeus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:31 am

Hi Daniel

Quite a dedication 4 h a day... do you have a teacher? My best advice would be to find one as you may get all the help here but in little chunks and inconsistent order, even worse not understood.
Playing in the mornings is good as your brain is more open to everything. Now I fear that you may be a bit tense and stressed. Being relaxed and staying relaxed is essential to keep your mind and body open to learning.
As for exercises and pieces, it's good to feel that you are stuck and not making progress as this proves you have a sense of reflexion on your work. Take it slow, I mean very slow tempo on passages that are difficult. Make sure your hands are relaxed, shoulder and neck. Work slow, very slow until you feel the passage and only then increase the tempo. When you study a piece, rather than play it from the top, just jump on these sections that are hard, practice them slow and move on. When you feel you have nailed these sections after some days, then play the whole piece. That should be more gratifying.

Level wise: we are all different (mostly due to affinity with some material I guess and also understanding of music). Ring of the bells is a relatively easy piece in level 5 compared to others. And this is Delcamp's ranking (Trinity College system is different for example). I'd suggest you look at Tarrega's pieces in each Delcamp level and see which one you can play and cannot... that could give you (imho) a good idea.

Best of luck!
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Daniel Penalva

Re: Advice on practice schedules

Post by Daniel Penalva » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:13 pm

wchymeus wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:31 am
Hi Daniel
Quite a dedication 4 h a day... do you have a teacher?
I have many friends that make a life from music (what is really a nightmare in Brazil so i not planning to do that), they frequently tell me some tips but that is not a every day event.
wchymeus wrote:
My best advice would be to find one as you may get all the help here but in little chunks and inconsistent order, even worse not understood.
Mr Delcamp material and others cited are pretty good, however i feel lack of direction in the technique exercises and always prefer to work on pieces and technical problems related to pieces, but i acknowledge that some technical exercises are necessary (like improvising in scales and others).
wchymeus wrote:
Playing in the mornings is good as your brain is more open to everything. Now I fear that you may be a bit tense and stressed. Being relaxed and staying relaxed is essential to keep your mind and body open to learning.
Not tense, but in the morning i seem to have less sense of ergonomy and muscular tone, coordination seems worst than afternoon.
wchymeus wrote:
Level wise: we are all different (mostly due to affinity with some material I guess and also understanding of music). Ring of the bells is a relatively easy piece in level 5 compared to others. And this is Delcamp's ranking (Trinity College system is different for example). I'd suggest you look at Tarrega's pieces in each Delcamp level and see which one you can play and cannot... that could give you (imho) a good idea.

Best of luck!
Good ideia, thank you !

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”