Missing notes in Sor, Op. 31, no. 19 (Segovia no. 10)?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
jayjayrose

Missing notes in Sor, Op. 31, no. 19 (Segovia no. 10)?

Post by jayjayrose » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:06 pm

I decided to go back and revisit some of the Sor studies Segovia compiled.

Number 10 is Sor's Opus 31 no. 19. I decided to look back at original sources and I have a facsimile of the Meissonnier publication (1st edition?). In this version, m. 15 ends with an 8th note rest- i.e., no 32nds at all on the final upbeat. Segovia has four Bs there and that's how I've heard everyone play it.
I also have David Tannenbaum's The Essential Studies volume of commentary on the series and he makes no mention of the missing notes. He does reference N. Coste's version of the piece, but I have not been able to find that. Tannenbaum seems to think that, in general, Segovia may have worked from Coste's edition.

So.... anybody have Coste? Opinions on whether the missing notes are missing or intended silence?
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Missing notes in Sor, Op. 31, no. 19 (Segovia no. 10)?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 pm

While that bar is missing the last 4 notes in the Meissonnier its a fairly obvious engraving error because in fact the bar doesn't add up, the final rest is in the lower voice as elsewhere and does not apply to the top voice, which is simply missing notes.
Its hard to believe people didn't proof read but e.g. there are two important notes missing from the melody in Op 9 in the first edition and its really hard to believe anybody reading through would miss them - so I guess people didn't proof read (or not all the time). There are many things about the practice of publishing at this kind of time we simply don't know.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 pm

This is study number 13 in the revised (by Coste) edition of Sor's "Méthode" and yes, the Bs are present there.

Neither Meissonier nor Simrock include them.

However (pertinent to Stephen's reply) in both my Meissonier and early Simrock editions the measure is in fact complete - with a quarter-note rest in the upper voice. A later Simrock edition has been typeset afresh but also includes a quarter rest in the upper voice. Error of ommission or not, they all three "add up".

Stephen - you must have yet another edition with which I am unaquainted.

Jayjayrose - the evidence is circumstantial but I think that it's pretty well accepted that Segovia had access to the Coste revision of Sor's method and based his selection on that.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 pm
Stephen - you must have yet another edition with which I am unaquainted....
Nope, I lazily misread the rest. Up too late again!
Louis Panormo (1838)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 pm

PS I still think there's a mistake in there somewhere in that it makes no sense to miss out those Bs.
Louis Panormo (1838)

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks, gentlemen. In my version, there is a quarter rest, too. But I'm assuming that Coste's revision caught the omission and he fixed it. Proof-reading is indeed an art unto itself. Now I just have to master the playing part ;-)

Jay
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”