Online Guitar Study

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Online Guitar Study

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Just curious and interested in hearing from teachers out there. If you take "lessons" online from one of the many great teachers and performers offering high quality video instruction, are you allowed to say in your bio: "studied with [Vieaux, Powis, Kannengiser, Tennant,...]? Some may be more personalized than others offering one on one through Skype. Others are more generic lessons. They are not all good. But many are outstanding.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

llch

Re: Online Guitar Study

Post by llch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 am

Would you say that you're a student of someone if you took their master classes? The length might be a little different, but for me it might be a bit too distant to really consider studying under someone via online option... there's just a little more than not meeting face to face!

llch

Post by llch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 am

Would you say that you're a student of someone if you took their master classes? The length might be a little different, but for me it might be a bit too distant to really consider studying under someone via online option... there's just a little more than not meeting face to face!

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I give classical and flamenco guitar lessons via Skype. It is realIy only one step removed from an in person lesson, so I see no reason why a student couldn't or shouldn't say that he or she studied with me.

On the other hand, if someone is merely watching generic videos, it seems a bit strained to say that they "studied with" so and so.

I think "studied with" implies a sustained one on one period of study. A good example might be from when I studied flamenco guitar with Mario Escudero. Sabicas, who was Mario's distant cousin, was frequently there when I was having my lesson, (we all lived within five minutes of each other) and so Sabicas taught me quite bit in person, but I would hardly say that I studied with Sabicas.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm

llch wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 am
Good question. Segovia's 2 week long classes might qualify I guess, though each student got about only 2 hours of individual attention each week. I just audited so I don't think that counts.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”