How Much Should I Charge For Group Lessons?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
TheRoadGoesOn4Ever

How Much Should I Charge For Group Lessons?

Post by TheRoadGoesOn4Ever » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 am

Does anyone have any suggestions of how much I should charge for group lessons on the classical guitar for beginning students?

1 hour / 45 min / 30 min?
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

CathyCate

Re: How Much Should I Charge For Group Lessons?

Post by CathyCate » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 am

I would suggest eliminating the 30 min option. A group needs setup and tear down time.
Even 45 min may be unworkable depending upon the size of the group. So perhaps figure on 1 hr.

Conduct a survey in your town and the surrounding areas. What is the going hourly rate?
In these other settings, How many lessons are students required to take in order to register for a group class? (Allowing people to float in and out on a week to week basis, could get counterproductive and cumbersome).

After that, determine what you may offer to students that the other groups may not, i.e. Specializing in the very young, the adult learner, a specific style, ensemble, studio class, open mike or recital opportunities. What is the added value of said options?

Be certain to figure in your actual expenses: travel, room rental, student instructional materials etc. Add it all up along with any subsidy available from recreation dept, educational institution, arts& humanities grants or generous private benefactors (just kidding), then divide total by minimum number of students anticipated to enroll. If more students enroll than you anticipated, congratulations on a modest profit.

I taught adults and children guitar for about a year in separate groups. Fortunately, a college was running the program, so the administrative burdens of advertising, enrollment, collecting fees etc. did not fall on my shoulders. Even so, it was a lot of responsibility involving a lot of preparation, planning and energy. I enjoyed it, but I decided that the payoff (for a part time job) was insufficient after taxes.

Good Luck and all the best!

khayes

Post by khayes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:41 am

I can't be of much help...I taught a group class back in the 70's and have very few memories of it. It was only for 1 semester. Since then I've taught 2 classes of beginners who were children, ages 10-12. The classes were short in duration(thank goodness!). My thought is that 1 hour is way too long for beginners...especially if they're kids. If they're adults it still might be too long, considering the class might be held in the evening after an already long day for many of the the students.
Ken

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 am

You have to look locally, as it varies from area to area. Look at anywhere that offers group lessons within a half-hour of where you're teaching and get quotes from them, but keep in mind that if you're working with some other organization, they take a certain cut of the cost.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 pm

TheRoadGoesOn4Ever wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 am
Does anyone have any suggestions of how much I should charge for group lessons on the classical guitar for beginning students?

1 hour / 45 min / 30 min?
I suggest you give us a vague idea of your abilities as a musician and your track record as a teacher.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”