New player - no 3rd finger.

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
tnrunner

New player - no 3rd finger.

Post by tnrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:17 am

Hello, Armin here. I have just started back on practicing my classical guitar skills. I have been playing off and on for 30 years. About 4 days ago I had an unfortunate mishap. My left ring finger had to be amputated due to an accident. Of course I am at a standstill for now. I play right handed. I am looking for playing options due to my mishap. I am open to any suggestions. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Evocacion

Re: New player - no 3rd finger.

Post by Evocacion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 am

I lost the tip of my right ring finger when I was about 6 years old. I also play right-handed, and use my little finger as the 'a' finger. This works very well for me.
Have you tried playing left-handed, where the loss of your left ring finger would be less of a problem? This may, of course, be too big a change.

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Research the name "Django Reinhardt"

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:26 pm

I have a friend that lost the ring finger on his left (fretting) hand due to a machine accident about 20 years ago. He was in touring bands since he was a teenager and had gotten into classical guitar around that time. He's an awesome flamenco guitarist. If it's limited him at all I can't tell. He certainly has to make some stretches that I don't. Hope this buoys your sprits some.
物の哀れ

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your amputation. As has already been said, you might be able to use your little finger in place of your ring finger for plucking the strings. You might need to pick your pieces carefully, and if classical guitar just proves too difficult, you could look at different genres (thinking particularly about open tunings that are used in folk) or even a different instrument. (Trumpet or trombone? A bowed instrument? Glockenspiel? Drums? Dulcimer?) But hopefully you'll find a way to get back to CG, if that's your thing. Good luck, whichever way you go!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm a lefty but play right handed. I have played left handed for about one year (in parallel with my right hand playing), and though it took some time until I got used to it I have made good progress. I would expect that in the long term (!) it will be easier for you to change your playing from right to left. In concerts I see many professional players that use excessively p, i and m, like Ana V. who plays a tremolo with i and m only, and I think many pieces can be played either with p, i, m only or by using the pinkie.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Armin
You may be interested in reading other's experiences of coping with loss of a right-hand finger. This topic is covered elsewhere in the forum at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96373. Matthew McAllister, a well known Scottish professional guitarist, gives a particularly detailed, visual account of how he manages after losing the tip of his middle finger.
Cheers... Richard

doug

Post by doug » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Have you considered playing the guitar laying down...... like a dobro? You'd have to train your pinkie to replace your "1" finger, and your thumb could replace "4." .....just a thought???
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 am

If I'm not mistaken, most of the great players before Tarraga
played with t, i, and m. Also a lot of great acoustic players.

I have a slightly spastic ring finger I have to work around,
e.g. I have to play some descending arpeggios m rest stroke on e,
m free stroke on b, and i free stroke on the g string , as in the Spanish Romance.
Some of the Sor studies were written for a more active thumb before
Segovia re_fingered them.

You can still make a lot of beautiful music.... Best wishes to you.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 am

There seems to be some confusion in this thread. Armin (tnrunner) says he is a right-handed player who has lost the third finger of his left hand. I take this to be the fretting hand, though some respondents are answering as if the problem is with the plucking hand.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 am
There seems to be some confusion in this thread. Armin (tnrunner) says he is a right-handed player who has lost the third finger of his left hand. I take this to be the fretting hand, though some respondents are answering as if the problem is with the plucking hand.
I read the original post several times and somehow missed that,
thanks.

Armin, sorry to say I can only hope that you can find a way
to make "beautiful music" in any way you can.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm

I am really sorry when I hear things like this.It can happen so easily to anyone of us.Shows that we should be grateful every day that our health holds out in order to do what we do.I sometimes take it too much for granted eg like working with an angle grinder the other day.But I cant just play guitar the house also needs to be painted and cared for.I don't know about the rest of the brothers and sisters. :desole:

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”