Exercise for right hand A & M fingers

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
rajesh_3615

Exercise for right hand A & M fingers

Post by rajesh_3615 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Hello everyone I have guiliani right hand studies that I practiced for a while. I am unable to figure out which excercise should I practice for A & M finger infependence. It sounds very thin compared to I & M finger.

Please hlep me

Robin

Re: Excercise for right hand A & M fingers

Post by Robin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:53 pm

rajesh_3615 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:30 pm
Hello everyone I have guiliani right hand studies that I practiced for a while. I am unable to figure out which excercise should I practice for A & M finger infependence. It sounds very thin compared to I & M finger.

Please hlep me
This is a common issue, often related to right hand balance and finger independence. You can use any right hand exercises (ie Guiliani, Carlevaro, Boudonis, etc) and even better if you work on a variety of patterns. Initially play on open strings, later add a stationary left hand chord part, adding the left hand chord changes last.

One idea is to take turns accenting each finger of the pattern. If the pattern is P I M A, play P I M A, accenting P for a repeated number of repetitions, until it begins to feel automatic. Then go on, following the same procedure, accenting I, then M, then A. This helps to develop a sense of balance and finger independence. Be aware of your overall wrist and right hand position. Difficulties with specific fingers can indicate a need to make adjustments at this level. Examine your overall sitting position, position of the guitar and take note of tension that you feel throughout your body. Do a mental check-in working through all body parts from head to toe or from toe to head (either way is fine).

Another idea is to place P I M A on the strings needed for the arpeggio exercise. Keeping I, M, A on the strings, pluck only P. Continue through the pattern: keeping P, M, A on the strings, pluck only I; keeping P, I, A on the strings pluck only M and keeping P, I M on the strings pluck only A. This helps develop finger independence.

Wishing you best in your technical development! It is a lot of work but well worth it!

Robin
So much music, so little time.

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm

The last one seems very odd, would you recomend any etude for the A & M workout.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:18 pm

rajesh_3615 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm
The last one seems very odd, would you recommend any etude for the A & M workout.
Carcassi Study Op. 60 #2:
60-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:39 pm

• a,m scales.
  • Arpeggio drills such as Ricardo Iznaola's Kitharologus, Exercise 38
  • various rasgueado patterns.
  • there are exercises i call "sweeps" but probably have another name. You strum using 2 fingers moving in opposite directions. (i.e. use extensors on "m" and flexors on "a", vice versa) Difficult to explain, but easy to demonstrate...sorry I don't have a working video camera) Be careful with this one and do not overdo it; you don't want an injury!
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm

rajesh_3615 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm
The last one seems very odd, would you recomend any etude for the A & M workout.
El Abejorro, by Emilio Pujol - but use pmam pmam... instead of the notated pimi pimi.. pattern. It is a fun etude and you will get quite the workout as well :-)

elabejorro.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

rajesh_3615

Post by rajesh_3615 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you everyone for supprting me.

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Try adapting Villa-Lobos' first etude. Start with the conventional fingering; p-i-p-i-p-m-i-a | -m-a-i-m-p-i-p-i, concentrating on a relaxed control when you get to the m-a bit, Then linger on that part, extended: p-i-p-i-p-m-i-a-m-a | m-a-m-a-i-m-p-i-p-i.. Alternatively, or additionally, transition to m-a sooner in the unmodified arpeggio: p-m-i-a-m-a-m-a } -m-a-m-a-m-a-i-m, etc.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”