Critical mass - how many pieces can one (/you) remember?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
bear

Re: Critical mass - how many pieces can one (/you) remember?

Post by bear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:21 pm

A couple of years ago I counted the number of different pieces/songs that I normally play during a week. It totaled a little over 100. Today, it's probably twice that.
All sight read, none memorized.
I know some freelance musicians. They will fill in for someone who couldn't make a gig. Often they will be performing with a band for the first time, without knowing the other members and without rehearsing. No matter what is played they are seamless, including solos. They seem to have a computer for a brain. No sheet music, Ipads, etc.. I think I hate them.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm

how many pieces can one (/you) remember?
-
many...200? probably more ,but does it really matter??
Is it really important if piece is memorized or not?
NO IT IS NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
What is important is how piece interpreted and presented.
If it is touched the listener and sounds beautiful!!!
I've heard players who played with tremendous accuracy, speed and precision both from score or memorized, but absolutely boring ...
or with no speed and precision and almost unlisttenable, yet memorized etc. ...
Play it beautifully!!
Memorized or not...Beauty and passion is the key, not aount of memorization, ability to sight read etc.
these just purely technical aspect of the craft, yet Art even with technical perfection but without deep spiritual content is ... just audio noise with guitar...
Smudger5150 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 pm
I've read a lot of threads regarding memorising pieces versus sight-reading and I wondered how all you memorisers(?) cope with expanding your repetoire or trying out new pieces.
Is there general a limit to how many one can remember at 1 time?
Do you all limit the number of pieces you have memorised so that you don't forget one of them?
Is that why some players seem to play the same repertoire all the time? (Maybe that's just my perception...)
Do some of you rely on sight-reading to 'remind' you how to play a piece therefore allowing you to not have any limits to what you learn to play? Or does that have it's limits too?
Is it not possible to rely on sight-reading to play some pieces more or less straight away or is that only possible for pieces x number of grades below your level? i.e. an advanced player should be able to play all beginner pieces from sheet music without needing to learn a piece (I theorise). Or is there a limit to that too i.e. even the best sight-reading CG player can't play a piece with, say, 3 voices and would have to learn it to some degree?

So in an attempt to summarise my various hopefully-related queries:-

Do you all find there is a limit to how many pieces you can memorise and what techniques do you use to learn/play new pieces without affecting your memory of the pieces you already know?
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:37 pm

I don't purposefully or intentionally pressure myself into thinking "now I must memorize this piece".I suppose its partly "laziness".But the type of work that I generally do eg background tea parties and occasional recitals in Church, I use reading as in speech technique where you use notes as a guide.Its perfectly acceptable practice in that milieu.However, there are pieces that I do play without a "parachute" simply because I have practiced them so much and they have naturally grown into my memory capacity.To answer the question I think I have about 10 pieces that I can do without out scores on stage, but I would not limit myself to a definite figure as to what my capacity actually is, or not.

I just find that the pieces just fall in line naturally without scores as I go along.Or as the saying goes "The more I practice the luckier I get."

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm
-
NO IT IS NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ...
Part of me agrees with that. Why is it acceptable for ensemble players, choirs and most organists that I've seen to have the music in front of them? But on the other hand -- and I know it's not an exact analogy -- we wouldn't want to watch a play or movie in which the actors are all reading from scripts. It's good if great works are "internalized", but of course it can be overdone. I'm thinking of the great pianist Sviatoslav Richter who had such a HUGE repertoire. There was little that he wouldn't play, but iinm later on he started having memory lapses and played from sheet music in recitals. I've wondered if maybe he had memorized so much that it all began to jumble together in his brain. So maybe it's better to keep your repertoire to a relatively small core of works/composers that you love most.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm

ddray wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm
-
NO IT IS NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ...
Part of me agrees with that. Why is it acceptable for ensemble players, choirs and most organists that I've seen to have the music in front of them? But on the other hand -- and I know it's not an exact analogy -- we wouldn't want to watch a play or movie in which the actors are all reading from scripts. It's good if great works are "internalized", but of course it can be overdone. I'm thinking of the great pianist Sviatoslav Richter who had such a HUGE repertoire. There was little that he wouldn't play, but iinm later on he started having memory lapses and played from sheet music in recitals. I've wondered if maybe he had memorized so much that it all began to jumble together in his brain. So maybe it's better to keep your repertoire to a relatively small core of works/composers that you love most.
Richter told many times that he used scores because he wanted to be as precise regarding music as possible, not because of "memory lapses" etc.
There is a big difference in our attitude to this subject.
I am listening the music!!
I do not watch it!
I do not care how certain artist look, etc.
especially for any kind of solo recitals.
Watching someone actually make my listening experience worst...
but... certainly if one would want to SEE music... then yes - playing by memory will be more "entertaining"
BUt bo I(someone) really need to be entertained when listening Bach???
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm
Richter told many times that he used scores because he wanted to be as precise regarding music as possible, not because of "memory lapses" etc.
I read somewhere that during a concert in 1980 he suffered a memory lapse which caused some embarrassment and only after that did he play in public using a score. But I could be wrong. Whatever. :D
The difference is probably not that big.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 pm

ddray wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
I read somewhere that during a concert in 1980 he suffered a memory lapse which caused some embarrassment and only after that did he play in public using a score. But I could be wrong. Whatever. :D
yes we all love music and guitar!!!! :)

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:23 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 pm
ddray wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
yes we all love music and guitar!!!! :)
Absolutely. :okok:

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”