Segovia's Remembranza

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
mainterm

Re: Segovia's Remembranza

Post by mainterm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:15 am
Well we're not so far apart if you think that the reason for letting go of the F-A is that it's the only way to get a fast, nuanced and smooth gliss. If you are saying that given the technical ability to hold those notes down while still getting a good gliss, that would be preferable, but that in practice you have to choose, I agree entirely. In theory the F and A are half notes, and the listener may even process them as such, but playing always involves compromises and it may be that the best compromise here is to cut them a bit short so as to get the slide just right. That is not what I had understood you to be saying in previous posts though - I thought you were saying that Segovia could have done it just fine either way but chose the easier way for musical reasons.
I think we agree.

and fair enough re earlier posts - to be clear: I'm not sure that Segovia or Diaz or whomever could hold the F-A "just fine" as you put it, but I do think at a certain high level of skill one could choose to hold these notes for their full duration.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”