Ornamentation in William Crofts’s Ground

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Cass Couvelas

Ornamentation in William Crofts’s Ground

Post by Cass Couvelas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I was inspired to get to know William Croft’s Ground after recommendation by Erik Zurcher. I started by using Marieh’s transcription but later came across the edition by Richard Yates (both links below), which set out to transcribe the ornamentation applied by Nataly Makovskya in her youtube performance.

Erik - this is your favourite piece I believe, so you’re the best person to ask!

I’m not sure whether to take Richard’s arrangement as a starting point for developing my own ornamentaion - so that it appears improvised by me, even if it’s nothing of the sort - or whether to work towards getting to grips with his notation exactly as he has written it.

Do you apply your own ornamentation as you deem appropriate?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92130&p=982253&hil ... nd#p982253
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61971&p=675508&hili ... nd#p675508
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Erik Zurcher

Re: Ornamentation in William Crofts’s Ground

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi Cass,
I use Marieh's transcription, but added a few ornaments from Richard Yates'. My advice: print out both versions and combine as you please.

Good luck with your study. It's a lovely piece but very hard to play. Skip some of the ornaments if you find them too hard or make you lose the pulse. I played this piece during my private lessons at the last Classical Guitar Retreat for Allan Neave and Thomas Kirchhoff. Both didn't know the piece but gave good pointers for further study.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Cass Couvelas

Re: Ornamentation in William Crofts’s Ground

Post by Cass Couvelas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:28 am

Many thanks, Erik. Yes, I've been studying it for a few weeks now, mostly using Marieh's version but taking one or two things out of Yates's. I now feel ready to start to add some ornamentation, but I’m going to be judicious about it and keep it relatively simple at this stage. Thanks again.
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”