Estudio Brillante De Alard (Tarrega) or Carcassi 60(25)

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Non Tabius

Estudio Brillante De Alard (Tarrega) or Carcassi 60(25)

Post by Non Tabius » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Which of these two pieces would you prefer doing from a personal taste perspective?
If you do both then great, but what if you had to make a choice for a specific purpose.?
They seem pretty much the same as far as "level" is concerned, as I see it, but just out of interest which do you prefer.

Guitar Maniac

Re: Estudio Brillante De Alard (Tarrega) or Carcassi 60(25)

Post by Guitar Maniac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 am

Having practiced Estudio Brillante for a while and even failed in a guitar competition playing this piece, I would say Estudio Brillante is far more difficult than Carcassi 60(25). But from a personal taste, I prefer Estudio Brillante.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for your input Guitar Maniac.Much appreciated.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:48 pm

I prefer the Carcassi - I find the orher one contrived and not worth the considerable effort. But then there is the context of how the Carcassi completes and sumnarises the whole set.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 am

I suppose it all boils down to taste.?I find the Tarrega very useful in exploring sonorities which are unusual from my perspective in the tonal harmonic context.Being an "estudio" or study, I would assume that it was Tarrega's intention
that it served as a concert as well as an effective assignment or study for the audience and students of his day.
I would also go with Carcassi for concert or recital purpose but yet enjoy the Tarrega for study purposes.I find the Tarrega melody to be a whee bit dated,for recital or concert,but then again I can't say until I have effectively presented it as such.The audience might think differently.I will just chisel and scratch away at both in the meantime,before attempting any real live acid tests.

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 pm

I can't imagine being in a position where I had to choose between the two but if I did I'd go with the Tarrega piece.
There's a lovely clip of Julian Bream playing cricket to a backdrop of Estudio Brilliante.
Therefore it is the best.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”