Slow and Painful

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
OldPotter

Slow and Painful

Post by OldPotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I have been looking at Satie's Gymnopedie No 1. The instruction at the beginning says "Lent et Douloureux", its almost as if he knew how I was going to play it. The Google translation is " Slow and Painful"
Is that what he really meant or is there a better word that translates the true meaning into English?
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Slow and Painful

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:36 pm

OldPotter wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm
I have been looking at Satie's Gymnopedie No 1. The instruction at the beginning says "Lent et Douloureux", its almost as if he knew how I was going to play it. The Google translation is " Slow and Painful"
Is that what he really meant or is there a better word that translates the true meaning into English?
Sorrowful.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Thank you Stephen, that does work when I translate back into French too.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 am

That's funny I'm working on that piece too. I Googled "lent et douloureux" and it said slow and painful...see Gymnopedie No1
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 am

My Collins dictionary lists the rarely used word 'dolorous' which it defines as 'painful or sorrowful'.

Among the definitions of 'douloureux' in my Collins-Robert French-English is 'harrowing' but that only applies to my rendition of the piece.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

I've often wondered why the Spanish name Dolores should be so popular when it is cognate with douloureux (douleurs, anyway). Why would you give your daughter a name like that? Anyway, this thread has prompted me to look it up and it turns out to be a reference to Mary of the sorrows, aka the virgin Mary.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”