Repeats in Andante Cantabile, No. 25 from 25 Pièces Pour Guitare by Dionisio Aguado

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
DCGillrich

Repeats in Andante Cantabile, No. 25 from 25 Pièces Pour Guitare by Dionisio Aguado

Post by DCGillrich » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:31 pm

I have been looking at a lullaby-like piece by Dionisio Aguado called Andante Cantabile, No. 25 from 25 Pièces Pour Guitare. Here is a link to the score in the Danish Royal Library: http://www2.kb.dk/elib/noder/rischel/RIBS0010.pdf. The score was published by Lemoine & Son of Paris in 1887.

The piece is made up of four repeat sections, the first two in A-major, and the second two in A-minor. The end of the A-major section has a "FIN" mark. However, I am unclear how to interpret the D.C. at the end in conjunction with the two Segno marks at the beginning and the end of the work. Using modern nomenclature, would this be interpreted the same as showing "D.C. al Fine" at the end of the A-minor section (i.e. repeat from the beginning to the "FIN" or "Fine" mark)?

Cheers... Richard

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Repeats in Andante Cantabile, No. 25 from 25 Pièces Pour Guitare by Dionisio Aguado

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:52 am

It seems to be a case of it using both methods to instruct a repeat. Many from this time just use the 'segno' mark, here we have both. I think you simply play from the start again and end at Fin.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

DCGillrich

Re: Repeats in Andante Cantabile, No. 25 from 25 Pièces Pour Guitare by Dionisio Aguado

Post by DCGillrich » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:03 am

Thank you Stephen. You confirm what I thought -- it seems to be unique to this particular publisher. Cheers... Richard

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Richard - consider that in the 1843 new method printed in Madrid (where the piece you mention was first published), there exists no indication that the player should return to the beginning.

The piece appears as "study 19" in the method. It could be that in preparing the piece for performance, the editor of the edition you cite felt that the D.C. form would serve better.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”