Recording a duet with myself

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Atocha5

Recording a duet with myself

Post by Atocha5 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 am

Hi, I have been trying to record a duet. I recorded the first part without a glitch, and now I am trying to record the second part over it, as I listen to the first. Inevitably I get it ALMOST right, but there is always too much of a pause at the start of a phrase, or some such little goof that wrecks it. I keep thinking there must be an easier way. I have no state-of-the-art recording studio, just a nice Tascam DR-40 4-track digital recorder. Am I missing something obvious here, or do I just need to keep seeking perfection? I am going to be dismally sick of this piece before I’m done, which will defeat the whole purpose! Thanks for any insights.

sxedio

Re: Recording a duet with myself

Post by sxedio » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 am

I've done some with the Zoom H5 which is a fairly similar device, posted on this forum, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114466

My only trick is to add 'count in' metronome so I get 3-4 beats and then I start playing/recording with no click track. It helps getting the second track entry right. Of course in the very worst case you can use a click track. I found the duet recordings a rather revealing experience for my ability (or lack of) to play consistent tempo and keep in time with another player. Tiring but worth doing, like practicing with a metronome!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Phil McKelliget

Post by Phil McKelliget » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 am

Forgive me for stating the obvious but why not find a duet partner, it’s a whole lot more fun. It always amazes me how much easier it is to stay in time with another live musician than to say in time with a recording or a metronome. That mutual flexibility is really what it’s all about. I’d guess that this forum is an excellent vehicle for tracking down a duet partner.

Atocha5

Post by Atocha5 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I appreciate your reply and you are right about a duet partner being MUCH more fun than a metronome, but I am trying to make a humble recording for friends and family and haven’t found a duet partner willing to be on the recording. I will search the forum as you suggest.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Play and record both parts with a (digital) metronome only. Do not listen to the first part when playing the second part. Then you can use a software to correct single notes and chords if you have been slightly out of tune.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm
Play and record both parts with a (digital) metronome only. Do not listen to the first part when playing the second part. Then you can use a software to correct single notes and chords if you have been slightly out of tune.
That's a good way to sound like a midi file and not like a real duet. It works for pop music, but not the best approach for classical.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Phil McKelliget

Post by Phil McKelliget » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 am

Atocha5 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm
I appreciate your reply and you are right about a duet partner being MUCH more fun than a metronome, but I am trying to make a humble recording for friends and family and haven’t found a duet partner willing to be on the recording. I will search the forum as you suggest.
Of course, finding a duet partner is easier said than done. I looked you up but you’re in New England whereas I’m in Old England. Good luck with the search. Phil

kervoas

Post by kervoas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 am

Agree about a live partner, but failing that I've synchronised the two tracks using Audacity (free version) and edited any fluffs etc without much difficulty.
“The only escapes from the miseries of life are music and cats”
Albert Schweitzer

Joey Grimaldi

Post by Joey Grimaldi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Seems to be an idea in the classical guitar world that playing to a click is unmusical, but that is bs to me. There is nothing stale about a steady tempo and your listeners will thank you for it.

Also when you get to a part where you want a rit momentarily ignore the click, takes practice but it's the best way to get a good recording.

Recording is not playing live, they are two different arts.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”