Keep current teacher?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Chantysboy7

Re: Keep current teacher?

Post by Chantysboy7 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm also located in the Denver area and plan on taking lessons from this guy once my guitar is finished being built. He studied classical at Indiana University, which is a very good music school. Not sure if this helps but it's worth a shot.

Kohl Aldjo
https://lessons.com/co/westminster/guit ... ctions-inc

You could also contact the professor at Metro State and see if they have suggestions or availability.

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Ricardo Iznaola is in Denver - at least as far as I know. If for no other reason, contacting him could yield either private instruction or references to teachers in the Denver area. He is affiliated with Denver University.

also, there are guitar societies around there which may be easily found online. Try Ft Collins, CO Springs and Boulder as well. CU has a fairly solid guitar program. Participating in these or even just contacting their members would likely yield many references for teachers in the area.

My guess is that there are more qualified teachers around than seem the case.

frerom

Post by frerom » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:45 am

Alan Green wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 am
Lessons should be about what you, the student (and the money), want to learn; not what the teacher thinks will make a good lesson this week. I expect my students to tell me what they like.
While you as a student should be the one to set the goals, I expect the teacher to know what will make a good lesson this week, don’t you think? I really liked the teacher I had when I started out, he let me do basically whatever I wanted. This was fun, however there are a lot of basics I have totally missed out on, recognizing chords in a piece being one of them.

fraim

Post by fraim » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:57 pm

wildchicken wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:30 pm
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is one of those things where I guess I do know the answer. I am in Denver, but there apparently is a dearth of classical guitar teachers. It might be worth it to go it alone/online with CGC or Skype lessons. I have mostly been working through Noad.
fwiw....i think you will be better served & have better results with a "hands on" teacher vs cgc or skype. i have experience as a cgc member (but also have a private teacher) if you want to discuss offline, pm me. nothing bad to say about cgc , just my experience & viewpoint.

Stickyhead

Post by Stickyhead » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:24 pm

I canceled my teacher because he wasn't teaching me, I could do what he had me doing for free.
He would basically give me 2 or 3 lessons from Sagreras book each week, no mater how much I struggled or how bad I played he would progress me to the next ones. Not sure why but he even skipped the scale lessons. I am thinking about cgc also.

klaake

Post by klaake » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:57 am

There are a couple great classical guitar teachers in Loveland/Fort Collins if you're ever in the area. Alan Skowron is my instructor and I've been very happy with him: https://www.alanskowron.com

He specializes in all kinds of guitar, but classical is his main area of expertise.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”