Aranjuez

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
dk

Aranjuez

Post by dk » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:06 pm

Did anyone played Aranjuez yet. How long did you practice it. I know a guy who practiced it 5 years

tremolo_jones

Aranjuez mon amour no more.

Post by tremolo_jones » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:14 pm

I think a better question is this:

If you play the Concierto de Aranjuez, what notes do you play?

I don't think anyone plays the actual guitar part as published. Even Angel Romero, who edited the Schott edition with his fingerings, doesn't actually play it as written.

If you play it what are your shortcuts and accomodations?

christophemontaigne

Aranjuez

Post by christophemontaigne » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I've played the Concierto de Aranjuez with orchestra several times. I preferred to get my scale technique to certain level before taking on the music. Once that happened, the piece flowed quite well.

I know this probably touches on the eternal debate of whether technique is "developed solely through music" or not. While I certainly believe that certain types of technique can only be developed by playing literature (usually the more refined aspects of music making: voicing, tone, legato phrasing, accuracy), if one attempts things for which one isn't properly prepared, especially a basic technique like scale playing, problems can ensue.

One's ear can become fatigued through all the effort and repetition required, which might render the piece dull and lifeless. And if technique is the primary concern, there's no mental energy left to devote to artistic issues. And to my mind this separates technique from music as much as the dry pedagogue who can only talk about finger movements and fails to see the larger artistic picture.

If dk's example of a guy who practiced the piece for five years needed that time to get to the point where he could get through the piece, I'd say there's a big problem. If, on the other hand, he was using that time to generate creative musical ideas and refine his interpretation, that's a different story. The legendary pianist Dinu Lipatti was once engaged to play a Beethoven concerto. The conductor said, "Great! When can you do it?" Lipatti said something like, "In five years," (perhaps it was three). In Lupatti's case he wanted the time to grow artistically with the piece.

For myself, I have found that speed, so necessary for the Aranjuez, comes fairly easily as a result of the quality of my basic technique. But if I simply try to increase the quantity (i.e. speed) of a technique that has basic problems (say, a bad hand position or a tense movement), I'm in for trouble. The big trick, of course, is knowing what constitutes quality.

That said, certainly a phenomenal piece such as the Aranjuez can inspire all of us to work hard (and smart!) on our guitar playing!

~cm

aj.la

Re: Aranjuez mon amour no more.

Post by aj.la » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

tremolo_jones wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:14 pm
I think a better question is this:

If you play the Concierto de Aranjuez, what notes do you play?

I don't think anyone plays the actual guitar part as published. Even Angel Romero, who edited the Schott edition with his fingerings, doesn't actually play it as written.

If you play it what are your shortcuts and accomodations?
I just found this post but don't know if anyone ever replied. I'm interested in the same question. There's a YT of John Williams playing the C d'A and on many occasions he doesn't play the written score. Mostly, it seems, he alters it to make it easier to play - which is fair enough, I suppose - although I wouldn't dare do the same. Are there accepted simplifications of this piece - or is he just so confident that he can do what he likes, while every one else has to struggle with the real thing?

Gary Macleod

Re: Aranjuez

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed May 10, 2017 6:24 pm

I've played it a few times and recorded it on my YouTube channel, I also did a video lesson on technique for scales

https://youtu.be/NTB0PBlzxB0

aj.la

Post by aj.la » Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am

Gary, thanks for your reply. I looked at your video of the allegro gentile and you, too, don't play it exactly to the score. I was just wondering if there were any simplifications that are accepted in the profession.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri May 12, 2017 1:05 pm

aj.la wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am
Gary, thanks for your reply. I looked at your video of the allegro gentile and you, too, don't play it exactly to the score. I was just wondering if there were any simplifications that are accepted in the profession.
I follow many of the edits made by Williams, I think Barrueco and Romero play it exactly as written but personally I feel dropping a few phrase down an octave sounds better.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”