Tremolo, anyone?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:57 am

Someone suggested to me once that changing the way you drum on the desk in moments of boredom would help - so I drum pami on the desk whilst I'm waiting for things to print or transfer etc.

My tremolo is still wrong because I don't have the volume out of the three fingers at speed yet, but I can practice it for ages.

Best,

A :-)

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:32 pm

I kind of dissagree with that last statement, respectfully though... :)

I think that tremolo should NOT be a reflex-type motion, like tapping your fingers on the table. I think it should be a movement that is completely CONTROLLED, like arpeggios for instance.

this is why I think Carcassi's #7 (Op.60) is great for tremolo practice - it changes between tremolo and arpeggios.

owl

Post by owl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:50 am

Florentin wrote: I think that tremolo should NOT be a reflex-type motion, like tapping your fingers on the table. I think it should be a movement that is completely CONTROLLED, like arpeggios for instance.
florentin... that is almost a quote from my teacher... great minds think alike eh?

Cheers
Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 am

Well Owl, listening to your recording of Recuerdos, one could really understand what we are talking about here!

Wonderful example of finger control when playing tremolo.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 am

Speaking of tremolo... kabukibear has just posted a composition called Un Beso... the audio file is from a midi file, so it really can't stay... would anyone like to try recording it and posting a "real" .mp3 of it? There is a .pdf file with notation and tab:

viewtopic.php?p=26741#26741

owl

Post by owl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:51 am

Azalais wrote:There is a .pdf file with notation and tab:

viewtopic.php?p=26741#26741
Hi Az... how come I can't download this?... I just get a little box with a cross in it :shock:

Cheers
Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

hav

Post by hav » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:55 am

owl - you may need to update your adobe reader (it's free) at http://www.adobe.com/ somewhere - just look around a bit - free reader plugin

My tremolo isn't up to speed yet - I can almost make it through limosna (thumb still goes a bit out of control from time to time though) but only at about 60% of cecile's tremolo in her vid of this. Odd thing - as I was slowing down her vid's audio so I could measure where I was against it, her tremolo isn't really all that even when slowed down - I don't mean the expected ebb and flow of the piece - I mean individual tremolo triplets - I mean, I wish I could tremolo as well as she does, don't get me wrong, but I was surprised at how uneven it actually is when slowed.

p.s. kabukibear 'a piece should be pretty easy for anyone with any tremolo at all - it looks like a couple of simple 1st position chords ('least the bits I played through when (e)he first posted it.

rdc1991

Post by rdc1991 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Has anyone played the Tremolo piece by Regondi...Op 19 Nocturne Reverie? It seems to be a real handful, but it is brilliantly crafted and shows off the technique well. It also has several other sections that are non tremolo, so it, like the Carcassi study, is valuable in changing to and from tremolo.

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:09 pm

can you play it in the mp3 section? :)

zjcxjf

Re: Tremolo, anyone?

Post by zjcxjf » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am

Florentin wrote:How do you practice your tremolo?

Here's one way I like to have my students practice tremolo:

- PI, PM, PA, on different string combinations (2nd and 1st, 3rd and 1st, and so on, with the thumb moving to the different strings)
- PMI, on different string combinations
- PAMI, on different string combinations
- play easy tremolo study: Sagreras has one, in his first book, I think, or maybe his second? My favorite study for this purpose is Carcassi's Op.60, #7. The reason I like it is because it uses both tremolo, and arpeggios, so the student has to shift between the two techniques. I also like this study, because the tremolo does NOT have to be played very, very fast - if they play it too fast, they'll never get the arpeggios that follow.
- play sections from Requerdos and sections from Barrios' Una Luminosita Por El Amor De Dios (not sure of the spelling here...)

- then, they can play an entire tremolo piece.

some thoughts?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:10 pm

I am playing a short Tremolo-Piece (a small Etude) on the german forum - without nails. You can get it nearly as loud as "normal" tremolo. It just needs a little bit practice (I rather have a proplem thet "thumb-inside" and tremolo doesn't work together <sigh> :roll: )

Thomas

siangwidjaja

Post by siangwidjaja » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:02 pm

When the first time I'm learning tremolo, I'm started with "TREMOLO STUDY" by N. Paganini. This good for me to build my tremolo technic. :)

jazzerfloyd

Post by jazzerfloyd » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:26 pm

i like to play "Juegos Prohibidos" in tremolo.. it's good to study this technique

joelad

Post by joelad » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:25 am

I like to play Recuerdos de la Alhambra...a lot of the tune is in the tremolo itself, so it's important that the tremolo is even and loud (i.e. not drowned out by the bass line).

I find higher tension strings can often help.

Joel

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:03 pm

I wonder if anyone here ever played flamenco tremolo.

pamim pamim pamim

that's it, right?

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”