Tremolo, anyone?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Florentin wrote:I wonder if anyone here ever played flamenco tremolo.

pamim pamim pamim

that's it, right?
i use that as practice! i can't get it fast enough to sound flowing, but i find it a great exercise to balance my regular tremolo. :D

david_classg

Post by david_classg » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:47 am

Florentin wrote:I will have to check that out

I bet it would be very hard to play a good, loud tremolo, without fingernails.
my teacher has an amazing tremolo and his nails aren't that long, its really amazing...

Amadis

flamenco tremolo

Post by Amadis » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:36 am

I wonder if anyone here ever played flamenco tremolo.

pamim pamim pamim

that's it, right?

well, you could probably do it that way...

but most of the time i see people do piami

mark96

Re: flamenco tremolo

Post by mark96 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:49 am

Amadis wrote:
I wonder if anyone here ever played flamenco tremolo.

pamim pamim pamim

that's it, right?

well, you could probably do it that way...

but most of the time i see people do piami
I play it pmami...

Mark

faderprogg

tremolo

Post by faderprogg » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:55 pm

One thing I've found useful to practice to get the tremolo even, is to play the MIA-fingers in different orders and really listen to the character of each tone. For example PAMI, PMIA, PIAM, PIMA etc. It's hard but rewarding!

Theo Moore

Post by Theo Moore » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:49 am

Although I'm surely not as experienced as many of you, I found something so helpful to my tremolo practice that I couldn't help but share.

As many people have already recommended, it's useful to practice tremolo in different variations to help develop evenness in your playing. But to take it a step further, I used one variation in particular: pami amim

This way, you can play an extended melody of sorts when you practice your (standard) tremolo pieces. At first, it's difficult to bridge that gap between the i and the a, but my gap has become much much smoother. And I have noticed that this has had a wonderful impact on my pami tremolo, because IMO, the hardest part of the pami tremolo is to have an independence for your ami fingers.

Also, this variation lets you practice LH fingering for your pieces as well as you have more time between shifts.

David H.

tremolo

Post by David H. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:06 pm

I read in the "Master Class" column of the Nov/Dec 1990 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine where Sharon Isbin suggested one way of practicing tremolo. She said to practice a m i slowly with a metronome only use a rest stroke on the m finger. Gradually increase speed until you can no longer use a rest stroke on m. Continue to accent m until you reach full speed. She says the accent will disappear while the correct tremolo rhythm and hand position will remain. Anyway, I didn't know if anyone else had heard of that method. Any comments?

senunkan

Post by senunkan » Wed May 24, 2006 10:36 am

I have a different method for tremolo: I do it p m i a

If we look at the usual sequence, p a m i, we noticed that weakest link is perhaps the part which we play a finger followed by m finger. Due to the way the fingers are structured, we are likely to end up playing:

p--a-m--i--p--a-m--i--p--a-m--i--p--a

(Notice the gap between the a and m is shorter)

I had slowed down recording of my tremolo using this method using computer audio software and this becomes very obvious.

Another experiment to confirm the weakest link is to do a scale with im, ma, and ia we would find that ma is the hardest to do. So by re-arranging the sequence p-m-i-a, we replace the weakest part of the link (m,a) with i, m finger which is much more independent. Thus we are able to achieve a smoother tremolo. However changing the order took me a few month of getting used to, since we are so accustomed to the p-a-m-i order.

With this I would like to deduce that if we are able to do a scale with m and a almost as fast as we can with the i and m finger, then we would be able to achieve a smoother tremolo. Just a thought.

Giomhurtbees

Re: Tremolo, anyone?

Post by Giomhurtbees » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you for the detailed plan Florentin. I never thought of adding ima one by one to the p. I usually see people advising to practise ima and then to add the thumb. But that can create a difficulty to have all four fingers in one movement (by opposition to p and ima as two separate things).
I will try it.

Else does anyone have advice about how close to the strings to keep the RH palm? (How claw like to have that hand basically ).
I try to observe it on different people, but I find it hard to see.

However, when I practise tremolo, my rh palm tends to move further from the strings as I accelerate. It feels more relaxed like that, but also not as precise...

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”