Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Ruark

Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

Post by Ruark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:52 am

I have as much appreciation as anybody for complex, difficult pieces, and admire the virtuosity of those who can play them well.

That being said, I'd like to hear suggestions for another type of classical guitar music: the simple, gentle, beautiful piece, not technically difficult, and likely even extremely simple, perhaps a slow, delicate single-note melody, presenting not even a slight technical challenge, but instead, the challenge of playing with the right touch and emotion to make it work, something that makes a tear roll down your cheek as you gaze wistfully through the rain-spattered windowpane and remember grandma...... :|

"Farewell to Stromness" may be an example, although even that is more complex than what I have in mind.

Anybody?

Thanks,
Ruark

bestposts beautiful pieces

mandarin

Re: Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

Post by mandarin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:25 am

for me its

Largo in D (2nd movement from Vivaldi Concerto in D) :) i first heard the piece when while watching sesame street (when i was still a kid)

the piece got imprinted in my memory that when i encounter it 2 decades later i still remember the tune :)
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:45 am

mandarin wrote: Largo in D (2nd movement from Vivaldi Concerto in D)
I agree that's an excellent example, although I'm not sure I'd classify it as "simple". Not complex either. Maybe around
level 5, maybe 6. But it is beautiful and available on the net.

Another one I just came across is Sunrise http://zohourian.com/Main/Download.htm.
The simplest yet most beautiful piece I know of. There's mp3 and score there.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 am

I'm learning Capricho Catalan by Albeniz at the moment, it's rather simple and is extremely beautiful.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:02 am

Hi Ruark
Jeremy wrote: Capricho Catalan by Albeniz
Don't you know if I'd classify that piece as gentle Jeremy. Simple is of course subjective depending on your level.

Ruark, I listened to "Farewell to Stromness" on youtube and I get the impression you're looking for something that's beautiful
but doesn't have your fingers flying around with all sorts of position changes. Almost slow and moody.

Sunrise defiantly fits the bill. So might a simplified version of Pachelbel's Cancon in D, Largrima by Tarrega, Greensleeves,
Bach's Sleepers Awake and also Air for the G String.

Hope this helps
Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

estrasino

Post by estrasino » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:51 am

Gaspar Sanz: Lantururu (and several others)
Also old renaisance lute and vihuela music.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:58 am

Your description made me think of "Julia Florida" by Barrios. If that's too difficult, there's always Romanza. :)

mandarin

Post by mandarin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:23 am

btw

please check out Tony Palis' "Harana Para Kay Hannah" it is a simple piece -- a very charming serenade

you can find it here at delcamp.

if you find Kundimans (Philippine Serenade music) quite appealing, try to check out transcriptions of maestro jose valdez -- you can buy them online via

http://www.vgorecordings.com/sheet_musi ... ectory.htm

thanks
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:43 am

Ruark wrote:That being said, I'd like to hear suggestions for another type of classical guitar music: the simple, gentle, beautiful piece, not technically difficult, and likely even extremely simple, perhaps a slow, delicate single-note melody, presenting not even a slight technical challenge, but instead, the challenge of playing with the right touch and emotion to make it work, something that makes a tear roll down your cheek as you gaze wistfully through the rain-spattered windowpane and remember grandma...... :|
What a lovely sentiment, Ruark!

I don't know what your playing level is, but our own "KeMe" has just graced us with her first compositional offering "She's Gone".

It's deceptively simple, but also deceptively moving.

You can find the score here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24601

Try playing it with a lot of dynamics. It's quite rewarding!

Alan

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:03 am

Hello Ruark,

You must look at some of Jamal Zohourian's work, http://www.zohourian.com, as mentioned above.

Also, have a look at Brouwer's "Un Dia de Noviembre", not too difficult but very beautiful,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

owl

Post by owl » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:11 am

Also try Manuel Ponce's 'Balleto'... just lovely!
You can see and hear the Maestro play it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-vuPQmFVJ0

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Ruark wrote: something that makes a tear roll down your cheek as you gaze wistfully through the rain-spattered windowpane and remember grandma...... :|
Have a look at Jubing's website http://www.geocities.com/jubing/
There are a lot of original compositions worth a try. I am always playing too difficult stuff (and I would count Capricho Catalan as well as Julia Florida to the difficult ones as well), but sometimes looking for relieving music which you can learn in a day or two. I've just printed a copy "once upon a rainy day" and find it a beautiful melody without any real challenges.

greets
Wolfgang

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 pm

What about Meyers' Cavatina (Williams' transcription)? It's relatively short, moderately slow, quite beautiful and really not terribly complicated. Once you learn the first 6 measures, the rest comes pretty easily. It is definitely an excercise in dynamics and a great opportunity to play expressively.

John_in_CT

Post by John_in_CT » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm

I have been playing "Romance" by JK Mertz, and I think it is exactly what you describe. Its simple, slow and very beautiful. Its from his School of Guitar.

sender

Post by sender » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 pm

You could try Horizons by Genesis - I think that might fit the bill. Although not probably considered a classical piece it's classical in style, short, simple and beautiful.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”