Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude
It is part of the D04 Classical guitar lesson 03, for example: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=115871
When played a bit slower than in the demo video it sounds even better.
Cordoba C9

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 pm

A piece that Ive been enjoying is "Pachelbel's Canon in D".At first glance it looks like a little walk in the park.But after a giving it a shot,I saw that there is a bit of work involved,which is usually the position in my case.Nevertheless after putting it together I believe it could come in very handy ,eg weddings ect.I just seems to be the right length as well for occasions like that.I would suggest give it a shot,it seems freely available.Another nice one not too lengthy is Mr Delcam'ps arrangement of "Fughette by Handel",beautiful two voiced harmonies,a total joy to learn.

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Michael Langer: Simple Truth. Easy finger-style ballad, with an Irish touch, quite beautiful. It is available free from his website. The piece was published in Saitenwege (a German pun, believe it or not), a very useful series (4 vols, highly recommended), containing graded guitar pieces with excellent fingering.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't know whether this piece has been mentioned but Mompou's Cuna from his Suite Compostelana is very beautiful and gentle.

Youtube
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:19 pm

+1 on Cuna. Laura Snowden does a nice version on you tube; Antigoni Goni plays the suite (and Cuna very differently than Snowden) on a cd.

edit: I just realized that the video above is of Ms. Goni!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Jeffrey,

Yes, in some ways I was a little disappointed by Antigoni Goni's interpretation in that video as I have heard her play it much more "sensitively" - but then she was having to project the guitar into what is probably a large venue. I too like Laura Snowden's playing, though Antigoni Goni does bring a lovely range of nuance to the piece.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm

JohnB wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm
Jeffrey,

Yes, in some ways I was a little disappointed by Antigoni Goni's interpretation in that video as I have heard her play it much more "sensitively" - but then she was having to project the guitar into what is probably a large venue. I too like Laura Snowden's playing, though Antigoni Goni does bring a lovely range of nuance to the piece.
Yes, they're very different interpretations. Laura Snowden plays the third, chordal section with strict timing; Ms Goni takes some liberties and, as I remember, plays that section more gently. They're both great versions. I try to play that section more 'as written' in terms of respecting the count--because it's lovely!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm
I try to play that section more 'as written' in terms of respecting the count--because it's lovely!
"As written", in the edition I have (Suite compostelana, pub Salabert, ed Segovia) is somewhat problematic as the typesetters seem to have run out of dots for the dotted notes (yes, I realise it would have been done digitally). When I first looked at the score I kept thinking "what on earth is going on here?" until I realised that it was just a case of extremely careless "typesetting".

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 pm

By the way, Peter Nuttall's "Berceuse" from his "Twelve Inventions for Solo Guitar" is also a really lovely piece. Lyrical but technically relatively simple (Trinity Grade 4).

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

JohnB wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm
I try to play that section more 'as written' in terms of respecting the count--because it's lovely!
"As written", in the edition I have (Suite compostelana, pub Salabert, ed Segovia) is somewhat problematic as the typesetters seem to have run out of dots for the dotted notes (yes, I realise it would have been done digitally). When I first looked at the score I kept thinking "what on earth is going on here?" until I realised that it was just a case of extremely careless "typesetting".
The count through this section is a bit tricky in the best of circumstances!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

klangbild

Post by klangbild » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Two spring to mind from Carlo Domeniconi's Preludes:

Prelude #2 - Semplice

and

Prelude #11 - Nostalgia

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”