Evaluations: Noad's " -Solo Guitar Playing" - Vol 1

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
XLR

Re: Evaluations: Noad's " -Solo Guitar Playing" - Vol 1

Post by XLR » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 pm

I think the strength of the book is its duets.

The beginning duet exercises (up to around p70) are arranged well and some are real beauties.

They're useful also for more advanced students who are working on fingerboard knowledge and sightreading, to play those beginning duets in higher positions for practical application of scales they've learned. And for students who are ready for a real ear training challenge, they might benefit from learning to play the 2nd guitar parts while singing the first, in some of those beginning duets.

Also the "SGP" 5th position exercises are very nice.
Last edited by XLR on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ramsnake

Post by ramsnake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:57 pm

Soundmac wrote:Solo Guitar Playing was my first guitar book. I took lessons at the local music school with the book (without CD's, in 1976 no one knew about CD's :-))
I still think it is a great book, though I must admit I lost my copy longtime ago when relocating from one place to another.
I still play the pieces which I recall were at the end of the book (Lagrima etc).
Should I buy part 2? Never looked at it.....
The 2nd book introduces more challenging repertoire and there is quite a nice choice of pieces.
Surfing equates to living in the very moment of 'now'. When you ride a wave, you leave behind all things important and unimportant, the purity of the moment is upon you. Bill Hamilton (Kauai, Hawaii)

musicstand

Post by musicstand » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:Since I'm quite likely to take a finger off with any power tool, I'd like to point out that the same place that can put on a spiral binding (Staples, etc.) has a machine that'll slice your glue binding off, too.

I've spiral bound almost all of my music books. I'm coming around to the 3 hole punch idea, though. That way you can see the title on the side of your notebook. Staples can also drill 3 holes nicely.
Hello Steve,
The guillotine (spelling) at our Staples will only cut up to a 1/2 inch, this is why I did the tablesaw cutting.
Regards.
Jim.

Meta

Post by Meta » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:38 pm

Ahh, Noad's book: my first and my favorite.

Strong points: Amazing music, varying exercises, proper instruction, really good at covering the basics
Weak points: Ineffective attention to hand positions, right hand strokes

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:33 am

I think the next logical step to this inquiry (at least for me) of the Noad text is what would you like to see in this method (or other methods if there's a cross over from a bunch of books) that doesn't appear. Better explanation of executing initial techniques (rest strokes, left hand positions, the initial set up of the hands and the guitar?), what about the exercises, are they too dry? Do you want more recognizable melodies? From both instructor and student point of views.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Something I'd like to see is a DVD with many camera angles on the teacher/player. In general, take better advantage of technology. Each method should have everything recorded (CD or MP3), at a minimum. It'd also be nice if the PC could be involved. So as an MP3 plays, the score is highlighted note by note; turn on or off tabs and chord frames; turn on or off the video and select the angle; allow you to slow the piece down without changing pitch; allow you to loop passages; involve an optional MIDI interface that can show you what you're playing, etc.

Can you tell I'm a technologist? :bye:
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

arby

Post by arby » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Everything Steve said, especially about the DVD.
Would be great if all exercises and studies had something like a Scorch or Tabledit file. Using the free players available, you can see the sheet music as it plays, listen to the midi, slow it down, play along at any tempo for duets, and print off copies of pieces so you can make notes without messing up the book.
Also, something most methods lack is any kind of a troubleshooting or problem solving section, such as common problems and how to avoid or solve them.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Guitarshreda wrote:I think the next logical step to this inquiry (at least for me) of the Noad text is what would you like to see in this method (or other methods if there's a cross over from a bunch of books) that doesn't appear.
Great question. In retrospect, a better clearer explanation of posture, hand, wrist, finger,arm etc position and examples. 30 years ago CDs weren't an option but as Steve has outlined, there are now many new tech methods available. Actually, I think simply providing an access code/registration to a Web site with the purchase would be the best way.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:Something I'd like to see is a DVD with many camera angles on the teacher/player.
This has been something that I was thinking about. Sort of like a companion DVD, that doesn't per say teach things (like the Kanengiser or Tennant DVDs), but rather gives you a live representation of what posture should be, the execution of technique and such.
arby wrote:Also, something most methods lack is any kind of a troubleshooting or problem solving section, such as common problems and how to avoid or solve them.
This is true, but I think this goes to the idea that method books are supposed to be used WITH a teacher, even if they are designed for the self-taught student. In my opinion anything out there now, doesn't provide enough information for a student to develop. Sure anyone can read notes, but when it comes to problems, technique questions, areas of interpretation beginning methods lack in all these areas. But definitely some kind of appendix, where things are explained fully, having sections for 'problem solving' even for a student who's working on something at home for a lesson in a week could use that. BUT I think that perhaps the reason why this isn't done is because these ideas are a part of teacher's style rather then set in stone ways of doing things. My way of problem solving is probably different then other teachers, so its hard to have a section like that in a method and have it useful with another teacher and another style.

John_in_CT

Post by John_in_CT » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:38 pm

Stanley Yates has just re-written the Mel Bay Classical Guitar Method, and I expect this to be exceptional. It was just released this week as a book and CD, but I believe there will be a DVD released as well. He posts in another forum and has dropped a few hints as to the contents. There is no computer interactive function however!

GEO

Post by GEO » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:42 pm

I've taken to recommending Shearer's "Learning the Classical Guitar" (vol 1) as a supplement to the Noad method because of its thorough coverage of hand positions and discussion of finger technique. Throw in a Kanengiser instructional DVD and is that about the best that can be expected for autodidacts?

Cheers,

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 pm

John_in_CT wrote:Stanley Yates has just re-written the Mel Bay Classical Guitar Method, and I expect this to be exceptional.
Thats nice to see, seeing as how the version of that method that I have is like the 'normal' Mel Bay method, but now you use fingers. I'm definitely interested in seeing this.

Geo, while that Shearer book and the Kanengiser DVD are definitely great products, I think the ease of everything in one book (which currently really isn't out yet) is probably the one thing that missing. A method that has great material to practice, good supplementary material (if needed) discussion of techniques, coverage of the hand positions, explanation of ways to interpret (which no beginning method talks about, but I think is essential at some point to talk about, especially once you get into playing pieces), trouble shooting concepts, and takes the time to talk about how to practice, truly isn't in existence. We've got little bits all around, but nothing that's in one book. I think the Shearer is close, but while everything about hand position and technique is covered, I think that to a self teaching student, some of the terminology is too much and can be said simpler and more concise.

wianno

Post by wianno » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm

I found the Noad book to be very helpful and have little to add to the comments of others appearing above. Here's the little:

1. Noad specifies the use of both the 3rd and 4th fingers, at least in the first position, as dictated by hand position prior to or after the notes of immediate concern. I don't recall rigidity on his part, just flexibility.

2. There are a couple of errors in his scores that have been discussed in other forum threads. One that I remember is in the 25th or 26th bar of the Carulli waltz that appears early in the book. There was a 1st string open e specified that should have been a 4th string open d.

3. For the reasonable price of $5 I can have any soft cover music book, like Noad's method book, wire bound at my local copy shop. They use a superb paper cutter to trim off a fraction of the spine of the book and then punch holes to accept the wire binding. It takes them less than five minutes and removes an endless source of aggravation for me.

Jack

arby

Post by arby » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

Guitarshreda wrote:
arby wrote:Also, something most methods lack is any kind of a troubleshooting or problem solving section, such as common problems and how to avoid or solve them.
.... BUT I think that perhaps the reason why this isn't done is because these ideas are a part of teacher's style rather then set in stone ways of doing things. My way of problem solving is probably different then other teachers, so its hard to have a section like that in a method and have it useful with another teacher and another style.
If an author leaves out his method of problem solving because it may differ from some teacher that may use his book, then what is the point of writing the book. It would just be another book of graded exercises and studies, already plenty of those.
Delcamp.net has them for free.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 pm

It also strikes me that "Solo" in the title might mislead a beginner who then discovers a preponderance of duets.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”