Evaluations: Noad's " -Solo Guitar Playing" - Vol 1

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Steve Kutzer

Re: Evaluations: Noad's " -Solo Guitar Playing" - Vol 1

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sat May 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
selftaughtamateur wrote:
Steve Kutzer wrote:
I've spiral bound almost all of my music books. I'm coming around to the 3 hole punch idea, though. That way you can see the title on the side of your notebook. Staples can also drill 3 holes nicely.
I like the idea of 3 hole punch. Do you know how much does it cost at Staples?
How you keep the title on the side? I suppose you have to put the book in 3-ring folder, right?
STA
Title on the side is pretty much why I'm going to 3-hole binder rather than spiral. I'm not sure, but think the cost is only a few dollars. Staples will save you the side binding that they slice off, so you can slip that into the plastic part of a 3 ring binder. I think I'll give one of my books a go with this tomorrow, and let you know costs and how well it works. The only problem with 3-hole is the pages could fall out, but that's off course true with the original glued "perfect" binding.

All of my spirals are fine though - I'm really only working through a few books at a time, and those are kept at a table separate from my (ever growing) shelf of music.
OK, I took 3 books to Staples today and remembered why I didn't 3 hole punch - most music books are larger than 8.5 x 11. So I had these spiral bound today, and each was $2.47
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

ZURDA

Post by ZURDA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Hans W wrote: My objective when I started CG was to play pieces. I didn't find learning the notes in the 1st position particularly difficult so I spent very little time there. I also figured these would become more firmly ingrained automatically by simply moving along. The same thing for working on the technique. I'm not at all suggesting this is a good or better approach then being more thorough at each stage. One of the reasons I prefer self teaching methods for almost anything I want to learn, is they allow you to go at your own pace. Plus they allow you to skip or glance over things you don't feel are important.. "ay, there's the rub". That can somethings come back to bite you in the arse down the road.

Hans
I'm pretty much the same.

As someone that's literally a hand full of weeks into Noads book I have to say that I think his book is excellent for those that are teaching themselves. One thing you have to consider is motivation when you don't have a class a week to get ready for and I think Noad really understands, that a lot of projects get started in this world with the best intentions but few actually get finished.

With Noads technique of teaching, you can progress at many different levels depending how far you want to follow the classical style of play for example; when I started I felt his explanations for hand positions/technique were not very thorough leading me to notice that "hey my hands don't look like Segovia or John Williams" heh ;) .. This also lead me to watch several videos and read several tutorials, here and on the net in general, until I corrected my problems. I feel most people that teach themselves are just as self critical as I am and for those that aren't motivated to achieve the most accurate technique then they can still learn how to play classical music on the guitar and have fun while doing so becasue Noad gets you playing music quite fast and that really does make you want to play and practice more when you don't have a weekly commitment to a teacher to gear up for. We all know that a teacher would be the best way forward but for some of us that just isn't an option due to many reasons either financial, time constraints or like myself lifestyle etc.. so for me Solo Guitar playing is a great teaching aid.

Lastly I do get the impression that the Noads book is really the starting point and I think he actually states that in the beginning somewhere. I assumed at the start that I would have to look at other resources to get a better understanding of how to progress in the correct manner but a book that contains every nook and cranny of how to play the CG would be the size of a complete encyclopedia volume A-Z and that's a lot of bindings to saw through ;) .

Note: here's an alternative to using power tools on your books. You could always scan in the notations then print them out, only takes about a minute. eg
*** image removed, presumed copyright protected ***

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:53 pm

On the binding/scanning issue, if you have a digital camera, it's much easier, faster and clearer if you just take a picture of the score. Once on the computer, you can edit, enlarge, condense, add comments, etc and then print.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Hans W wrote:On the binding/scanning issue, if you have a digital camera, it's much easier, faster and clearer if you just take a picture of the score. Once on the computer, you can edit, enlarge, condense, add comments, etc and then print.

Hans
Never thought of that! I use the copier/scanner here at work. It creates 300dpi PDF's and is incredibly fast and convenient.

I do like to make copies. For one, the originals stay nice. And for another, I can assemble what I am currently working on into a little binder, rather than shuffling from book to book.

ZURDA

Post by ZURDA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Hans W wrote:On the binding/scanning issue, if you have a digital camera, it's much easier, faster and clearer if you just take a picture of the score. Once on the computer, you can edit, enlarge, condense, add comments, etc and then print.

Hans
I tried the camera on my cell phone before I tried scanning but the resolution wasn't good enough, maybe I should have got out the digital camera and tried that but the scanner was right here and I can turn the dpi up to get a clear smooth image, then as you say I just edit the image to fit an A4.. Round trip of about 2 minutes.

So I guess the options are digital camera, scanner, jigsaw or rotary saw :D .

Sorry about the copyright infringement :oops: I thought I made the image small enough and blurry enough to make it impossible to read or figure out what it was.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm

ZURDA wrote:
Sorry about the copyright infringement :oops: I thought I made the image small enough and blurry enough to make it impossible to read or figure out what it was.
Full marks for trying then! We have to err on the side of caution though, or others might take it as implied permission to post similar images which are less well disguised! Anyway, some of us have pretty sharp eyesight :wink:

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:24 pm

ZURDA wrote:Sorry about the copyright infringement :oops: I thought I made the image small enough and blurry enough to make it impossible to read or figure out what it was.
:grire: :grire: Those things Geoff has sitting on his nose are not glasses, they're super duper classified magnifying lens used by MI5 which he conveniently forgot to turn in when he retired from there.

Actually, I came upon the "take a picture" method from an article about Google's project to capture all the great books digitally and using this method since you don't need to bend the spine of a book. Very useful when dealing with rare books.

If you're only scanning a couple of scores, that may well be faster, but if you have a bunch of pages to do, its simply a matter of click, turn page, click turn page... And yes, the phone cameras have too low a resolution for this.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Hans W wrote:
ZURDA wrote:Sorry about the copyright infringement :oops: I thought I made the image small enough and blurry enough to make it impossible to read or figure out what it was.
:grire: :grire: Those things Geoff has sitting on his nose are not glasses, they're super duper classified magnifying lens used by MI5 which he conveniently forgot to turn in when he retired from there.

Actually, I came upon the "take a picture" method from an article about Google's project to capture all the great books digitally and using this method since you don't need to bend the spine of a book. Very useful when dealing with rare books.

If you're only scanning a couple of scores, that may well be faster, but if you have a bunch of pages to do, its simply a matter of click, turn page, click turn page... And yes, the phone cameras have too low a resolution for this.

Hans
I read a sci-fi recently. The main character has been cured of Alzheimer's, and is essentially reborn into a world that has so changed, he barely recognizes it. He is horrified to go to the University library where they are tossing stacks of books into wood chippers. Turns out there are thousands of cameras in the chute, and the software is smart enough to piece all of the fragments together.

I could totally see google doing that

ZURDA

Post by ZURDA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Hans W wrote:
I should have posted the picture of the notation I took with my phone :P even Geoff's spy glasses couldn't decipher that :lol: ..

Thanks Han's I'll get the multi mega pixel (cant remember how mega it is :lol: ) camera out tomorrow, I'm sure the spine of all my books will give a sigh of relief.

mww

Post by mww » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 pm

I don't know if this thread is dead and buried now, but if not, I'd like to say what I don't like about these books (apart from some of the things mentioned by others in this thread):

I began to have guitar classes with a respected teacher earlier this year after supposedly having taught myself to play using the Noad books...he listened to me playing and informed me that a fair amount of work would be necessary...In fact he's completely changed my technique in the following ways (not mentioned in the books); left hand fingers should play as lightly as possible and be relaxed before, during and after contact with strings; right hand fingers should be relaxed before and after contact with strings; vibrato should be performed by the whole arm, not the fingers.
There could be more but I haven't got the books to hand to check.

Have to say I believe I wasted a lot of time and effort learning to play with poor technique! :desole:

KevinCollins

Post by KevinCollins » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm

mww-- in the words of the great Albert Einstein, God does not make mistakes. Think about how much fun you can have complaining about them now! Call it "entertainment value"...

To saw, to slice or punch -- that is the question.

What an amazing thread. While I own all of the methods listed, I prefer the 3-ring binder/copier technique. This method allows me to organize my practice by placing this week's material -- scales, studies (one each, scale & arpeggio), and repertoire, new and old -- in the front. And, at the end of the year, I retire old stuff to another binder where it is easily resurrected/reviewed. Since I own the books I copy from, I am legally permitted to make a copy for my own use.

I find the Shearer, the Mel Bay edition, with the metal-ring binding, easiest to use, especially considering the large font size. For that reason, I would recommend the Shearer.

The Provost books, with the plastic-ring binding are also excellent. And since they are up-to-date and material is presented in an order that makes sense, I don't need to make copies, good as-is. But who wants to learn fundamentals, what a waste.

The Noad books usually become shredded when I put them through my table saw (I call it "The 'Shreda"). Although, the copy shop doesn't have a problem with putting them on the slicer, either. And I can find them used online (so the publisher doesn't make a cent); then I don't mind shredding a copy or two every now and then.

I loved playing the Carcassi method, girls really liked those tunes. The book, however, doesn't fit on the copier too well so I don't use it so much any more.

The Duncan method is also too big for the copier, and it doesn't have my favorite Carcassi tunes. Although, I knew a woman who played "Ash Grove" (out of the Duncan) busking in the Boston subway one summer; she was making $175 a day, not bad for a six dollar investment. Payed for itself in the first four minutes. Maybe I should own two of those.

And the left-arm pronation issue, I found placing a capo on the fifth fret reduced wrist strain at the beginning. As the extensors in the back of my hand stretched, I moved the capo down one position at a time, until I could play open without collapsing the hand onto the one-finger, the real problem.

Fourth-finger wasn't introduced until later, anyway (in 'Hava Nagila', C to D# on the second string) -- by the time I got to it, it wasn't an issue.

Alternatively, Aikido stretches may help...

Cheers,

Kevin

PS Frederick Noad has earned the respect he has garnered. His contribution to the classical guitar has been and continues to be enormous. The fact that, thirty years after he wrote it, we are still debating the pros and cons, says a lot. Be careful not to take anything anyone says too literally. Not me, and not him.
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:10 am

I taught myself by working through all of Noad's first book -- my last effort was to master Lagrima before a 10-year lapse (work, kids, home improvement ... the usual excuses?). I was pleased with the book but, as others have posted, felt it a bit light on mechanics. Another book -- Charles Duncan's "The Art of Classical Guitar Playing", I believe, but memory fails me -- helped a lot.

My son's interest in acoustic guitar led me to pick it up again, and I am starting through Noad again. However, this time I will supplement self-instruction with occasional lessons, if I can find a teacher that is willing to accommodate a less-than-weekly schedule.

Keith Pierce

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Guitarshreda wrote "" But perhaps the huge spin is at times annoying when trying to use the book (as it keeps closing). ""

I use two clothspins and attach the open book to the music stand.

dkpwv

Post by dkpwv » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Lorette wrote:Guitarshreda wrote "" But perhaps the huge spin is at times annoying when trying to use the book (as it keeps closing). ""

I use two clothspins and attach the open book to the music stand.
I bought the Noad book last year but it was such a beatdown keeping it open. This is a very good, simple idea I did not think of. I am now working in Parkening II. I may need to revisit Noad and see what I can glean.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:58 pm

Keeping a lot of CG books open is indeed a problem. Another solution was in fact given earlier in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25357&p=270258&hilit=bind#p270141

Many print shops will do this for you for a nominal fee.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”