Evaluations: Noad's " -Solo Guitar Playing" - Vol 1

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
EdwinT53

Re: Evaluations: Noad's " -Solo Guitar Playing" - Vol 1

Post by EdwinT53 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:11 am

Just a note. I purchased an older copy of the book. It seems complete but didn't include a CD. Is there a source for mp3's of the files?

Ed.

eclipse

Post by eclipse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 am

Same here, am working with the book without the CD. I've written to the publisher 2 months ago, but never received a reply about how we could pay extra to get the CD.

John Aguilera

Post by John Aguilera » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 pm

for the cd - go to the Noad dot Com site- it is listed 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.noad.com/

Aaron Elkins

Post by Aaron Elkins » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Lare wrote:Hi,

Some years ago I read in Anthony Glise’s seminal book, Classic Guitar Pedagogy, about Sor’s 4th finger approach (this was adopted by Aguado in the following decade). After I examined Sor’s method (early 1830’s, I believe), I found that Sor clearly showed that the “D” on the 2nd string and the “G” on the first string should be played with the 4th finger, not the third. Since Sor’s guitar was most likely a smaller 630mm scale Lacote, and as he was one of the greatest guitarists who has ever lived, I doubt that he had difficulty reaching the 3rd fret with the 3rd finger. It seems to me that the only reasonable explanation for the 4th finger on the 3rd fret is to reduce the amount of pronation of the left-hand.

I tried this with a few students, young and old, and the problems with pronation were significantly reduced. Their hands stayed closer to the guitar neck and “G”, “D”, and “Bb” on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings, respectively, became simple. Finger exchange difficulties were more easily dealt with. I continued to use the 3rd finger on the third frets of the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings. After this success, I now use Sor’s 4th finger approach for all my students (and myself) with the rare exception for that student with very large hands with long fingers that do not pronate with the 3rd finger on the 3rd fret.
THE SCALES HAVE BEEN LIFTED FROM MINE EYES!!! I believe these two paragraphs are the most helpful ones I've ever read on the site. Thank you, Larry! :merci:

By the way, I was a private student of Fred Noad's for almost three years, in the days before he became so well-known. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a fourth-finger approach. Or a third=finger approach, for that matter. He just taught the third finger as something natural.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 am

acelkins wrote:THE SCALES HAVE BEEN LIFTED FROM MINE EYES!!! I believe these two paragraphs are the most helpful ones I've ever read on the site. Thank you, Larry!

By the way, I was a private student of Fred Noad's for almost three years, in the days before he became so well-known. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a fourth-finger approach. Or a third=finger approach, for that matter. He just taught the third finger as something natural.
You're welcome, acelkins.
IIRC, Noad's books were written in the late '60's or '70's, so he might not have known about the new (er, Sor's) 4th finger approach. This makes his otherwise fine method a bit dated, in my opinion.

All the best,
Larry McDonald

levic77

Post by levic77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:22 am

I have experience with Volume 2. Most of the theories, exercises, & even repertoire are similar in each volume. It is always a good rule of thumb however to have a trained instructor (at least for 1-2 years minimum). One can generally not identify problems with his right hand technique... and well technique in general. Also -- fingerings, dynamics, & details in exercises\songs can always be modified (With oversight from your instructor... or student when they are to that point). Good instructors will usually in general follow the method for the book whilst incorporating more for your improvement based by what you are ready to take on. One thing I've generally seen with self-taught students of CG is... the idea that they are ready to move on to the next thing when in reality they are not. That is where a good teacher comes in to say "HEY.. we need to work on this etc etc until we move on" - and they call the shots. This Method book in my experience however has been wonderful & introduces things it seems in a very timely manner.

oldmanblue

Post by oldmanblue » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 pm

I am coming towards the end of vol 1 & was going to ask people's opinion on vol 2 & up came larry with the reply i was looking for thank you larry ,my amswer would be by the latest version you can i was useing my old version that was about 25 years old , i bought the latest version with the C.D ,in my mind far more helpfull

vishnu86

Post by vishnu86 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 am

Well this thread hasn't been replied to for more than a year but, I really want to acknowledge my sincere thanks to this method which is very comprehensive in nature. My teachers,I've had two so far,both of them taught the rather old school guitar playing position (like Tarrega,Segovia,Parkening,etc) and the old school third finger approach which has been discussed in this thread.I've eased into the playing position and feel very comfortable now playing that way especially for the rest strokes! I find the Noad book great for learning the rudiments of music especially for a rank beginner like me who never knew how to read music earler, supplemented by the Sagregas method for exercises. I find these two combinations to work really well as far as progress in concerned even though I am progressing very slowly but confidently!

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 pm

Hmmm... interesting to read the comments regarding the lack of exercises on the cd. I worked out of Noad's book about 15 years ago (and am relearning my favorite pieces from it now), and mine didn't come with a cd. To be honest I thought that a good thing. I was already an excellent rock guitarist with very good relative pitch; I can learn a song faster by ear than most people can with tab. At that point I'd never read notation in my life, and given a cd I doubt I'd have learned cus it would have been easier to learn it from the cd. I would think not having a cd (or tab) would be beneficial just because it forces a student to develop reading skills. Or am I missing something?

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:37 pm

By nature we tend to take the easier path so I would agree with you that the lack of a CD forced you to learn how to read notation. Its similar to comments I've read on other threads where many have lamented they've never learned notation because the scores had both tabs and notation and of course they just used the tabs which they knew how to read.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

2handband

Post by 2handband » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Funny thing is, Hans, that I actually read tab much slower than notation. I always learned songs by ear, so I've only ever really used tab as a teaching tool.

JayA

Post by JayA » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 am

I ordered the CD's (there are two on his site) for the duets and i thought they were pretty useful to play along with but in the exercises, both guitar parts were played and not completely isolated to right and left. So you have to play along with both guitars unfortunately. The 2nd CD is the 2nd half of the book, mainly examples of solo pieces. I'm not sure how I feel about the repertoire selected either, it seems to jump ahead in either skill or reading. I'm sure some would disagree but that's how I feel.

Regardless I think it's a good book. The exercises are pleasing to the ear and not too repetitive. I've been using it almost every day. I think I'm going to have to supplement with another method, though. I'm having a hard time improving my note reading, and I want to be finished with memorizing every piece I play. That might just be a personal weakness, and not a reflection of the material.

mae3x

Post by mae3x » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:20 pm

I’ve just started self-teaching with Noad’s book. I too have an old copy without the cd but I find there is enough material on YouTube for each of the lessons that the cd isn’t really necessary. Great book so far!
Cheers!

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:40 am

I'm not sure which book is which, but Noad's arrangements of well-known songs are well done and really useful. As for the third/fourth finger thing, surely we should be able to to do it either way.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”